Chapter 5

Shangguan finally opened his eyes. Memories of hours ago flooded his mind. The assassination attempt, the strange fellow, and his poisoned abdomen. The first thing he observed that it was already dawn, which means a couple of hours passed since the assassination. He examined his condition and found out his limbs was starting to gain its usual strength. He moved his hand down on his abdomen  to inspect, yet, to his awe it was bandaged and the pain was gone. He listlessly sat up from his 'makeshift fur bed' ( ly's loot). (Li Yue was very accomodating with this lots of treasure.)

He scanned the area for any signs of his benefactor, yet to his disappointment there was no one.

"Oi, Uncle Lots of treasure! You're already awake? That's a good thing. I thought I would still need to wait tomorrow to receive my hard earned payment." Li Yue was really delighted upon Shangguan's improved condition. It really means those manuals would soon fall in her hands.

Shangguan was stupefied. Doesn't a doctor would first inquire about a patient's wellbeing after treatment? Why was this one's every sentences contains the word 'treasure'. It is as if the life of a crown prince was comparable to mere treasures.

Receiving no reply Li Yue was slightly angered. " Hey, uncle! Theres no free meal in this world! The payment for saving your life, administering you my precious pills, dispelling the poison out, renting that fur, and capturing assassins for your on disposal amounted to 2 highest grade manuals."

Two measly manuals is she trying to insult me? This prince's life was equivalent to those two manuals. Li Yue wasn't to be blame, she was a very compulsive in raising her cultivation and honing her skills. As an enthusiast, she naturally need ample resources. One has to know that skill manuals were always sought after, which means anyone would fight nails and teeth for it. Those medicinal materials were also scarce, thus she often do missions in exchange for rewards. If she was lucky enough, she would caught sight of rare ones while doing missions. Whilst, sometimes she would purchased others in auction houses. Along the way, she became a regular.

If anyone asked Li Yue about her clan. Those crudes were too stingy, for a couple thousand jade coins she would need to annoy his father until he complied. Father always says:

"Yue'er, I am glad that you are hardworking, however if you would keep asking me a thousand jade coins a day, not long after we would need to eat a single bowl of porridge every meal."

"Ha. Ha. Ha." Shangguan guffawed after regaining his composure.

Li Yue confounded, but let out a bedazzling smile when she heard the the person's laughter. It must have mean that he was alright with the payment.

Shangguan saw this smile and stunned. Even though, the night was making the place obscure, leaving only a few night pearls and firewoods burning to illuminate the small camp but 'his' smile was like a sun radiating the night , all else paled in comparison. A vague thought clouded his mind.

When you smile at me, I'm satisfied
Like a flower that drinks dew.

Upon realizing the sudden thought, Shangguan fazed. He wasn't that  homosexual to like a man. He concluded that it was an aftereffect dispelling the poison. Hmm.. It was the poison definitely.

( A.N. Shangguan you were poison on your stomach not on your brain. -_-.)

" Only 2 manuals, this gentleman's life surpassed two manuals. How about a title, acres of land, and hundred thousands of jade coins to compensate for the trouble I caused you." Shangguan offered a generous deal.

" No need, I have title already ( No. 1 medicine gatherer), I'm too lazy to govern a land ( my hand would be exhausted plowing the field all day), and I'm not running low on money ( only an idiot would believe you can pull out that much.)." Those things doesn't even help one cultivate. Li Yue was frustated, she wouldn't let this opportunity slip out her hand. She must squeeze this uncle's spatial ring for manuals to be satisfied.

Shangguan was flabbergasted. Isn't the offer justifiable? Other people would already kowtowed and thanked him for the magnanimous grace, but this fellow continuously insisted on asking for manuals.

He started to have suspicions. The first they met, he offered to trade the longling fish, he refused, he even said he will trade it for a roasted lamb. The second time was, that drug that was used in knocking out the assassins. He remembered one ingredient in concocting anesthetic was very expensive. The last one, was this fellow was persistent in declining the offer in exchange for manuals.

" But, 'Uncle lots of treasure' since you're that generous how about adding about 2 more manuals? Aye?." Li Yue went closer and squatted to face Shangguan a few inches away. Shangguan leaned backward due to the close proximity. A sweet-scented fragrance with faint medicinal aroma invaded his nose.

It's almost smell feminine.Why would a guy smell like this? Is this even a guy? Upon realization, he inspected Li Yue's appearance.

This fellow indeed has an aesthetic beauty. Looking at those brows that angled pleasingly, the eyes that gleams liveliness with shades of aquamarine, the lashes that elegantly fans when blinking, complemented well with the button nose, those cheeks that were slightly pink and supple, those parted cherry lips inviting for a succelent taste, the pale toned skin and finally those glossy hair that dark as ink loosely tied in a bun letting some cascade the fellow's back. He couldn't make clear of the figure because of the wide sleeve robe, but shifting his gaze on the exposed neck and nape, he gulped stopping his further probing. The poison had left a strange aftertaste.

"Eh, Uncle, Is there something on my face?" Li Yue placed her hands on her face trying to wipe the nonexistent dirt.

Shangguan awoke from the dreamy state. He finally concluded that this was a cross dressing cultivator. Li Yue's high pitched voice a while ago suggested otherwise. Plus, adding to the fact that she wasn't concern a bit about land and title. This one belongs to well off clan. This girl must be an alchemist too, considering how adept she was in concocting the powder and treating his injury. But what would a girl do in this dangerous mountain slopes? A hunter? Probably, he must come across her this afternoon when she was just newly done with doing missions.Thinking back she was bedraggled in a sorry state, her clothes were crumpled, torn, and covered by mud. She also had wounds and there were even patches of bruised skin. Why would a sheltered girl who was a silver spoon accepting those? Why would she let herself beaten?

Li Yue stood up and went for a nearby water source to check her face. Leaving an evidence is a must not, otherwise father would issue another dozen of guards around my courtyard. Wouldn't want that to happen!

Shangguan was startled when Li Yue stood up, he extended his hand, but suddenly stop midway. He caught a glimpse on the sword hanging at the girl's waist. His grin grew wider as he stared particularly at the handle where an insignia of a wyvern was engraved.

"So this was the trash everyone is talking about."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

If you liked the chapter, click the star to vote. :)