Chapter 24

"Xi Jing, Big Sis has something to do first. In the meantime, Xi Jing can look for something to eat." Li Yue dug the pouch and placed some gold coins on his palm. Looking at the number of coins on boy's palm, Li Yue wrinkled her brows and begun to pull some more. This should be enough for some buns and candies.

Xi Jing on the other hand, shook his head and tried to return the coins, however Li Yue only rubbed his head with a gentle gaze. Xi Jing reminded her of Jing Qui. Jing Qui was an orphan she encountered on one of hunts. Jing Qui was also in the same situation as Xi Jing, when Li Yue first saw her. The thin Jing Qui was locked up in one of the cage along with other girls around her age. She was abducted by a group of slave traders from her village which was constantly visited by lawless people. One fateful afternoon Li Yue was in the middle of collecting ling zhi (ganoderma/ reishu mushroom), when she saw Jing Qui and the rest being whipped mercilessly. The girls cried and begged on their knees, however the men didn't stop and continued to leave lashes on the girls' bruised flesh. The whole afternoon, Li Yue stifled her sobs witnessing the heart wrenching scene. She waited until the dead of the night to rescue them and by the time she was done, Li Yue sent them on their way. The thin Jing Qui stubbornly stayed. Li Yue brought her home after she found out that Jing Qui's family was already dead. At the manor, Li Yue received her punishments after her Father learned of her escapades. Her Father disciplined her according to the rules which she accepted in returned that Jing Qui could be her personal maid. The Prime Minister could only agree knowing Li Yue was stubborn to the core, and since then Jing Qui became a part of her family.

Looking in those big sparkling eyes, Li Yue ruffled the boy's hair once more. "Don't worry, Big Sis will fetch you once I'm done. Buy something tasty for Big Sis, too."

Knowing he couldn't change her mind, Xi Jing sighed and nodded. Watching the boy's departing form, Li Yue turned around and made her way to the tavern. Wearing a serious expression, her hand gripped tightly the haft of her sword. Lot of curious gazes were thrown on her way, as her dignified handsome disguise reached the tavern's entrance.

She halted and shifted her ears trying to determine who were the two people happily gossiping about her 'death'.

On a corner of the first floor, two people surrounded by jugs of wine; A middle age man with a large build wearing a brown tunic and a lean bearded man were hunched while gossiping like old women.

Li Yue smirked and proceeded to walk towards the bartender serving at the front, while being indifferent from the stares. Ever since she came in, certain group of people have been murmuring and whispering. Although, all sorts of travellers visited the shop, Li Yue's refined appearance was still able to draw their attention compelling them to observe her every graceful movements.

She sat on vacant stool eyeing the jugs of liquor on the shelves. The permeated smell of wines, foods, and vomit lingered in the air, twitching Li Yue's nose for she never liked rowdy places like taverns and bars, especially the pungent scent of men's sweat!

Fishing the pouch from her sleeve, she tossed in the counter. A fat attendant emerged giving the pouch covetous glances.

"What does the Esteemed Guest wants? The shop have premium rice wine for two coppers a jug, we also served grape wine from Liang Empire' brewery for silver a jug. Esteemed Guest will not regret after having a sip, for Liang's grapes are the finest in quality. " The attendant smiled from ear to ear at Li Yue, particularly at the pouch. His hands were itching to stuff it on his pocket.

Li Yue's eyes contracted a bit after hearing the word 'Liang'. Memories from a month ago came, flooding her mind. She was suddenly curious about Meilien, Bao Yu, and the two princes. I bet those swells left scars, the xuen grass can slow down the healing process of any wounds. Meilien and Bao Yu must be grinding their teeth trying to uncover the perpetrator. Of course, they never would have thought the trash Wu Li Feng would be behind it. Her lips curled at the thought.

She opened the pouch and took some gold coins, while returning it inside her sleeves. Placing the five gold coins on the counter, Li Yue tapped the wood and spoke, "How about something more intoxicating than the wine from Liang and some side dishes, too?" Seeing the attendant's blooming smile, she hinted that the coins were no ordinary amount. She unconsciously touched the pouch on her sleeve and hid it deeper.

"Right away! Where would Esteemed Guest like this servant to place the orders. This servant shall arrange a proper table for Esteemed Guest." The attendant's hands picked up the five shimmering gold coins in a greedy speed.

Li Yue caught his hands right before he picked the last one. She leaned and whispered in his ears, "It seems that my 'friends' already reserved a table." She tossed a gaze at the two men she saw earlier and returned to the attendant with a sly smile before speaking again, "You can bring the food and wine there and remember better be fast or else..." She looked at the attendant's hands where the coins was placed and smiled once again.

The attendant's smile stiffened, he made a hasty bow before disappearing to the kitchen, completely oblivious to the chaos Li Yue was brewing.

On the hand, Li Yue casually plastered a friendly smile approaching her targets' table.

The lean man across the table noticed Li Yue's silhouette heading their way and stopped laughing. "Do you know that boy?... He seemed to be going in this direction."

The other man turned his head when he heard his pal and placed the wine jug on the table shaking it mildly. "I don't know a skinny boy who looks like him. He must be here to do business." His eyes darting towards Li Yue's face, towards his ragged clothes, and the sword on her waist. A glimmer of greed flashed his eyes eyeing it.

"It's about time I get a new weapon and I think that boy's sword is not bad."