5.

Hands pushed me forcefully into the backseat of a car as I struggled and screamed. "Please," I begged with him. "Please don't hurt me." My kidnapper laughed, like this was a game to him. "Don't worry sweetie, it'll just hurt a little." he leaned in slowly. The rain pelted the car in sheets.

I awoke with a gasp, the tears already streaming down my face. I hadn't had that particular dream in so long, it came as a shock. I took off the shirt I was wearing that was now drenched with sweat, and used it to dry my tear stained face.

There was no use trying to sleep after that. I pulled a random sweatshirt over my head and walked out onto the balcony. I pressed my clammy hands to my face, trying to shake the nightmare from my mind. It was a clear night, and the moon shone brightly from the dark sky. I loved these nights. I didnt realize I was smiling to myself until my face began to hurt. Topher McCoy Alexandria, the basket case.

I sniffled and sunk into my chair. I began to space out and think about what my friends in Missouri were doing when I felt something small and hard hit my leg. A rock. I looked down at the ground below and there he was.

"Hey, can't sleep either?" Harry was dressed in his sweatpants and a beanie, his voice sounding groggy and tired. Even from here, I could see the bags under his eyes, but I couldn't help but smile at his presence. "Come take a walk with me," he coaxed. "Just jump, I'll catch you."

"It's too far!" I whined, but despite my best judgement, I climbed over the side. What have I got to lose? I thought. "Please catch me," I whispered, as I closed my eyes and fell into darkness. A second later, I yelped as I felt two strong arms brace my fall.

I opened my eyes and Harry was smiling down at me with his crooked smirk I had grown to adore. "See, that wasn't so bad, was it?" he said, putting me down only to wrap me in his arms again.

"How are you, love?" he asked as he rested his chin on top of my head.

"I'm shaking off a nasty dream, but otherwise, I'm wonderful," I answered. We walked around the neighbourhood twice before we began to get cold. "Hey, let's go inside, I'm freezing," I said, nudging his hand with mine. We got back to our houses, scrambling up the side to my balcony.

I walked inside while he stood in the doorway, scratching his head awkwardly. I turned around. "Well, are you coming in or what?"

I laughed as he threw his hands up in exasperation. "I mean if you insist," he joked, closing the door behind him. I watched him sink down to the floor and I couldn't help think about our almost kiss earlier, and how badly I wanted it to happen. I sat down next to him with a plop.

After a moment of silence, he looked me straight in the eyes and said, "You know, I've always wondered what it'd be like to put on a bra."

I couldn't contain my laughter even at that hour. I was brought to tears from laughing so hard, furiously wiping them from my eyes. "What?" Harry asked, obviously not getting it, "What have I done? You can't laugh Topher, this is serious!"

I finally calmed down after a moment, and sighed. "Oh God, my stomach hurts," I groaned, unconsciously resting my head on his shoulder. He looked over at me, and my heart nearly exploded. I yawned, and he laughed.

"Don't go to sleep," he murmured close to my ear, but his voice made me even more tired.

"I'm not," I mumbled as I closed my eyes.

"Look at me." His eyes were so close to mine in the dim light. I reached out and poked him in the nose.

"How am I supposed to sleep if you're in my face? Move," I said, laughing, trying to push his face away. He didn't say anything. He leaned even closer so that the tips of our noses were touching. It was like I forgot everything that had made me shy away from people in the first place.

He made me feel brand new again. He made me want to live my life, just by being in his presence. He smiled, and with that, leaned away.

_______________________________________________________________________

The next few days went by like normal. Nothing else happened between Harry and I that night, or any other night, which confused me. I walked around in kind of a daze, not really focusing on anything in particular. The only thing I could think about was Harry's almost lips on mine, and how much I craved to be near him.

My infatuation with him had grown to an unmanageable size, and there was no sign of slowing down, as he seemed to get more and more attractive every day.

Today happened to be the last day of classes before winter break. Harry was a no-show as usual in my last hour of the day. I'd always wondered why he never came to class on time. I didn't have too much time to ponder this as he came barreling through the door halfway through class.

He looked at me and my face instantly lit up. "Where were you?" I whispered to him when he sat down in his usual seat next to mine.

"I'll tell you about it tonight," he whispered in my ear, his breath blowing my hair slightly. I looked at his face; couldn't help staring at his hair, how my hands yearned to be tangled in it. Ugh, stop it, I told myself.

His eyes seemed to smolder for a moment as they searched mine, his signature crooked smirk reaching his lips. I realized he was so close to my face only after the girl who was especially in love with Harry coughed rather pointedly, and shot me a glare. I quickly backed away, my face ablaze.

I snuck a glance over at him: his cheeks pink, his signature smirk spreading across his face. The rest of class went as usual, but I couldn't stop thinking about Harry, and what he was going to tell me.