Thirty-Six

Rosályn sat on the bed beside Keith, toying with her Weblum and watching Berrie play with her own toy.

She looked up at Keith, then patted his leg. "Mommy... I wan' dada." She murmured, and Keith clenched his jaw.

"Not right now." Keith breathed out as calmly as he could, pulling Rosályn into his lap.

Rosályn whimpered, pouting. "Bu' dada..."

Keith pet back her hair, kissing her forehead. "No." Keith spoke more firmly.

The baby whined, eyes glossing over. Keith gently pulled her onto his chest as she started to sob.

~

Rosályn slowly sat up, peeking down at Keith.

She clutched her Weblum close as she wiggled off the bed carefully. Rosályn waddled to Berrie's little dome and crouched to peek inside. "Bee!" She whispered rather loudly.

Berrie poked her head out, causing the little girl to squeak and giggle. Berrie flicked her ears and tilted her head with a soft meow.

Rosályn stood back up and hurried to the door, Berrie trotting beside her. Rosályn's legs carried her faster as the doors opened, and she booked it down the hallway. Berrie followed close behind.

The baby slowed back to a waddle as she looked around the familiar, but suddenly larger hallway.

She hummed uneasily, gripping her Weblum tighter and tighter. Berrie stuck close to her, occasionally trotting ahead to make sure it was safe.

Rosályn suddenly halted, whimpering with tears in her eyes. "Dada!?" She cried down the hall, wishing he'd come in and swoop her up like always. "Dada!"

Still no answer.

She slowly made her way farther, half of her face now hiding behind her favorite toy. Berrie now stuck close to her without going ahead, sensing her discomfort and building fear.

Rosályn sobbed softly, tears beginning to run down her rosy cheeks. She sat down in the middle of the hallway, the castle too big and too scary by herself.

She always had her mommy or dada with her.

She just wanted her father to hold her again.

"Dada!" Rosályn shouted one more time, Berrie curling around her comfortingly. "Dada!"

Rosályn got louder and louder until she was wailing, fat tears soaking her red, red cheeks. She gripped her Weblum so tight, her fingers hurt.

She cried and cried, shaking badly.

She was lost and almost alone. Berrie was with her, but Berrie couldn't hold her or sing to her like her dada could.

"Dada! Dada! Dada!" She called between sobs, calming only slightly as she spotted someone down much farther in the hall rapidly turn the corner.

Rosályn stretched out her arms, weeping still as they came closer and closer so fast.

She was finally swooped up and held closer to that familiar, warm chest in familiar, warm arms.

"Dada!" She cried in absolute relief as she clung to him and nuzzled him.

"Rosályn Olivia! What in the world are you doing out of the room? Where's mommy!?"

The baby just sniffled and buried her face into his shoulder. "Dada... Dada... Dada..."

Lance sighed softly, slowly relaxing as he rubbed up and down her back, rocking on his heels. "Oh, sweetheart... I miss you, too, little one. I miss you, too."

~

Rosályn held her father tight throughout the rest of the night, never once letting him go. She stayed awake just to make sure he wasn't going anywhere. Well, tried to. She fell asleep once or twice. Maybe three times.

But, that's not important.

What is, however, is the fact that now her mother is trying to take her away from her father after she tried to hard to find him and stay with him.

Rosályn let her Weblum fall to the floor long ago in favor of clinging to her father as Keith shouted at him. She whimpered, tucking her face away in Lance's neck. She tried covering her ears, hating the foreign anger in her mother's voice and the foreign desperatness in her father's.

Lance breathed deeply and slowly sighed. "Rosie... Time to go with mommy." He murmured to her, rubbing her back.

She shook her head, trying to now wrap her arms around his neck. She gasped as he shifted her and lifted her up off his chest.

Rosályn cried, tears bursting from her dark eyes all over again. "No!" She screamed, thrashing as her mother took her. "No no no no! Dada! Dada!"

She shrieked and pushed against Keith, wriggling to get away from him. "No no!" Rosályn pounded on Keith's shoulder. "Dada! Dada!"

Keith couldn't take her thrashing and screaming anyway, so he set her down in hopes of her calming down.

That was a mistake.

Rosályn bolted the moment her little feet touched the floor. She crashed right into Lance's legs and wrapped herself firmly around him.

"Dada, dada!"

"... Fine." She heard Keith ground out.

"Keith, please..." Lance beant down and lifted Rosályn up to his chest.

Rosályn calmed down, nuzzling into him.

"Keith, we're both her parents. We both need to be here for her."

"I don't want you near her."

"I know, and I'm sorry. I'm sorry, but she needs the both of us. She needs both of her parents... I don't understand why you're shutting me out... What happened? Why don't you want me to hold our daughter any more? She's barely just turned a year old, Keith. She doesn't know. She doesn't understand. Please, I don't care if you take this out on me, just don't take it out on her."

"I'm not taking anything out on her!"

"Yes you are! Keith, look at her!"

There was a silent, tense pause.

Lance breathed deeply. Rosályn felt his chest shake and she sniffled. "Keith... I miss you... I don't know what happened- what I did, but I want to fix it. Please... Give me that chance..."

More silence followed Lance's calmer, sadder voice.

Rosályn didn't look up as Keith's footsteps departed, storming furiously from the lounge.

Lance squeezed Rosályn in distress as he sunk into the sofa. "Rosályn... Oh, Rosályn, what am I going to do? What am I going to do...?"

-----

1006 words

What am I going to do?