Fifty

Pike stood beside Keith, holding on to his pantleg. He suckled on his pacifier as he looked around to everyone else.  He tilted his head back and patted Keith's leg.

His mother couldn't being himself to smile as he looked down at Pike. He sighed as he crouched and picked up his youngest. Pike rested his head on Keith's shoulder. "Dada?" He asked softly, peeking over Keith's shoulder and half-expecting his father to be there, grinning and trying to hold him.

Keith swayed, rubbing Pike's back. "No, baby boy... He's not here..."

Pike felt Keith jump as Allura aggrivatedly slammed her fists on the panel and shouted. Pile whimpered and gripped Keith tighter.

"I can't find any single way to penetrate that quiznaking field without getting all of us killed!" Allura snapped, tears she refused to allow fall building up more and more in her eyes.

"Allura, calm down." Hunk murmured, gently placing his hands on her shoulders.

She slumped and started to sob. "I-I can't... I let them go on that bloody mission... That dangerous, suicide mission..." The princess wept as Hunk carefully pulled her to his chest.

The yellow paladin rocked with Allura, rubbing her back with his gaze downcast. "We couldn't have known they'd get stuck..."

"But I did. I did know." She nuzzled into Hunk as he squeezed her. "I knew there was a chance it would close... It'll stay closed until Zarkon or Lotor clear them."

Hunk breathed deeply. "Allura... Princess, blaming yourself is not going to help anything."

Allura sniffled.

Pidge bit her lip, looking up to Shiro. "Where's Matthew?"

Shiro sighed, placing his hand between her shoulders. "He's with Rosie." She nodded, glancing over to Keith and Pike.

Keith rocked slowly, resting his cheek on Pike's head. His hand ran up and down Pike's back, eyes closed.

~

Rosályn sat on Matthew's lap, staring downwards.

Matthew kept his hands on her sides, holding the toddler close. "Rosályn... Talk to me, sweetie."

"I want daddy."

He squeezed her and pursed his lips. "Honey... I know you do... But he's not here."

Rosályn shook her head. "He said." She muttered, crossing her arms. "He said he would come home."

Matthew wrapped his arms around her. "I know he did, Rosie, but even he can't keep every promise he makes. Rosályn, he's not coming home."

The three-year-old screamed and thrashed, startling Matthew. She lashed out from his grasp and fell to the floor. Berrie leapt off the sofa from beside Matthew and circled around the toddler to make sure she hadn't hurt herself.

Rosályn curled up on herself as she cried. "I wan-want daddy!" She hiccuped and sobbed, race red and wet with tears.

Matthew sunk to the floor beside her, flinching back after reaching out to her and she screamed. "Rosie, please."

Berrie gently curled around Rosályn, nuzzling her head as Rosályn tightly grasped onto her. She purred in an attempt to settle her down, but it didn't work as well as she'd hoped.

The freedom fighter breathed deeply, carding his fingers through his hair. He looked up, tears in his eyes.

Shiro stood in the doorway, gaze soft and grieving. He stepped closer and sat down on the floor beside Matthew. Matthew quickly grabbed his hand.

"Rosályn..." Shiro whispered, reaching to her and gently stroking her hair back. "Rosályn, come here."

She shook her head, gripping Berrie tighter.

The black paladin pursed his lips. "Rosie... I'm sorry. I'm sorry I couldn't bring him home. It's my fault."

Matthew squeezed Shiro's hand, snapping his head up to look at him.

Shiro breathed deeply. "Rosie, please don't be angry with Matthew. Please, don't be angry. Would your daddy want you to be angry?"

Rosályn sniffled and peeked over her shoulder at him. "No..."

He smiled softly at her. "Then can you say sorry?"

The little girl shifted and sat up, then crawled back into Matthew's lap. Berrie kept her eyes on the toddler. "Sorry, uncle Matt." She murmured, resting her head against his chest.

"It's alright, Rosie." Matthew wrapped his arm around her and kissed her head. "It's okay. You miss him. I miss my dad, too."

Rosályn nodded. "I miss daddy..."

Shiro rested his chin on top of Matthew's head, closing his eyes. "I miss him, too."

~

Steely, dim yellow eyes were all he could see. The room was pitch black and silent aside from heavy breathing.

"K-Kolivan?"

The yellow eyes turned to him. "You're awake. You've been out for several varga."

He coughed and groaned. "Yeah... I feel that. Stiff neck and back, pins and needles in my arm, and more."

Kolivan chuckled from the other side of the cell. "Just be as quiet as you can. I believe the guards are Just across the hall... They may think you're actually dead, or close to death, at the least."

The paladin huffed, letting himself drop heavily to the floor. "Where's our armor?"

"I believe they stripped us of it, Lance."

Lance snorted. "Well, yeah. I figured. We need to get it back."

Kolivan nodded. "Yes... Otherwise it'll be even more difficult to get out."

The blue paladin glanced around, still unable to see anything. "Well, we're already fucked. I'll take what I can get at this point. We should start planning escape."

"What do you think I've been doing?"

-----

890 words

HE'S ALIVE

Who all though he was for realz dead and who knew I couldn't kill him? Be honest.