Fourty-Eight

Pike has decided that he likes to crawl. He still sticks close to his mother, following him around. Pike still loved when his mother would hold him, but didn't fight it if he was set down. He'd just follow mommy.

Walking was just as fun, though it hurt extra bad when he fell. He refused to walk for a week when he fell on his face after walking for the first time.

He still kept his pacifier and his favorite blanket on him at all times.

The eleven-month-old looked up from playing with his three-year-old sister as his mother stood up.

Pike gasped and pushed himself to his feet, shoving his pacifier into his mouth and clutching his blanket to his chest. He whined and waddled as quickly as he could after Keith.

Keith smiled and waited at the door for him. Pike hummed and grabbed Keith's pants. He waddled quickly beside Keith, holding onto his pants so he wouldn't get left behind. Keith slowed down from his normal pace so the little eleven-month-old could keep up.

Once Pike was done walking, he tugged on Keith's pants. "Mm. Mm."

Keith hummed and stopped to scoop Pike up. Pike quickly grasped and nuzzled into Keith.

"Hi, sweet boy." Keith mused, rubbing Pike's back as he contintinued walking up to the bridge.

Pike looked up as the doors opened. He glanced around, spotting lots of familiar faces.

Uncle Matt, daddy, Vanie, Annie, auntie 'lura, and uncle Shiro.

Lance grinned and waved at Pike. Pike blinked, then threw his face back into Keith's neck. Keith chuckled as Lance pouted.

"I though he was going to warm up to me around this time."

Keith shrugged, standing beside Lance. "I guess he had other plans."

Lance rolled his eyes. He reached over and ruffled Pike's messy hair. Pike didn't react with anything other than a soft hum. "You're just a mama's boy."

Keith leaned on Lance's shoulder, running the tips of his fingers up and down Pike's spine. "What were you guys talking about?"

Kolivan glanced to Allura, then stepped forward once she nodded. "We have a new mission. Lance volunteered to go with Shiro, Aneira, and I. Aneira is coming, too."

The red paladin tilted his head. "Not all of us are going?"

"Too many of us could get caught easier." Lance gestured with his hand towards the holographic map displayed in front of them. "Besides, it'll take maybe a week or so. You hate being away from Pike and Rosie for more than a day."

"Well, so do you." Keith looked up at Lance.

Lance huffed and chuckled amusedly, kissing his cheek. "Yeah, well, Pike likes you more than he'll ever like me. I think he's still traumatized from that last time you had to be in a pod for those few varga. He was practically forced to deal with me."

Keith rolled his eyes. "So, a stealth mission? Are you gathering in formation or clearing a base?"

Kolivan cleared his throat. "Well, uhm... Information gathering. That's mostly what it is. The base is too big for us to take on our own. If we attack, it's set to close a barrier around the entire planet, encasing it in some sort of field. This planet is a big resource for the Galran empire. Their ships, their droids, sentries, weapons, supplies, all of that. Seventy-eight percent of all these resources come from here."

"Oh, wow." Keith breathed out, swaying with Pike. "So you'll have to be entirely extra careful out there, then."

Lance nodded, his hand gently placed on the small of Keith's back. "Yeah. Well, we have about two more days until we have to go. Right?"