Fourty-Nine

Aneira stayed in the bay to catch her breath, Matthew rushing Shiro to the medical bay.

Keith stood frozen, wide eyes forward and skin pale.

The Galran woman cautiously stepped closer, reaching out to him. "Keith..."

"Wha-what does that mean!?" He cried, snapping back to really as he pivoted to face her. "'They didn't make it!?'" He echoed Shiro's pained words, tears built up in his eyes. "What happened!?"

Aneira breathed deeply, closing her eyes. "We were packing up... I don't even know how they found us out. We were just about to finish filling up the shuttle when they came in shooting. Just so out of no where. Shiro was the closest to the door, then Lance. Lance and I got Shiro into the shuttle, then he started helping Kolivan."

She sighed softly. "The barrier around the planet was starting to close... We had to go... I thought they were in but... They weren't... Kolivan told me to pilot- to just get out. Lance did as well... So I closed the doors and got out of there. They shot and shot and... I barely made it out of the shield... When I turned to check on them... Both were gone and Shiro was bleeding out on the floor."

Keith choked and sobbed, raising his hands to his face.

He jumped, turning sharply as the door opened again and Allura, followed by Pidge and Hunk, came running in.

"Where are they!?" Allura gasped, swishing her head around. "Lance and Kolivan!? Where are they!?"

Keith sobbed, beginning to curl in on himself.

He was sick. He head was spinning.

His chest was tight.

It became hard to breathe.

His eyes burned with thick tears.

"N-no... No, no..."

"If he is alive..." Aneira drew him closer. "He's never getting out... Neither of them..."

"Aneira!" Allura shouted, snatching the trembling paladin from her. "We'll get Lance and Kolivan out of there. We will, Keith, and they'll be alive."

Keith sobbed, breaths shallow and quick. He could barely hear her.

~

Rosályn sat up as the door opened. "Daddy?" She asked, rubbing her eyes.

"No, Rosie."

The three-year-old perked up and jumped to her feet. "Uncle Matt!" She rushed to the foot of the bed, giggling as he picked her up. "Good morning, uncle Matt!"

He smiled softly, adjusting her on his hip. "Hi, sweetie."

"Is daddy home, yet?" Rosályn asked with a big grin, playing with uncle Matt's hair. "Where's mommy?"

Matthew gulped, lips turning down. "Rosie... Your mommy is with uncle Shiro."

Her eyes lit up as she gasped, grin widening more. "Daddy, too!? If uncle Shiro home, then daddy too!"

He closed his eyes, clenching his jaw. A lump built up in his throat, eyes stinging. "Honey..." Matthew sat her on the edge of the bed and knelt in front of her, taking her little hands in both of his. "Rosályn, Lance... Your daddy... He's not... He's not here."

Rosályn tilted her head. "He with Annie?"

Matthew shook his head. "No. She's here with auntie Lura."

"He with Vanie?" She swung her feet, toes curled. Matthew slowly nodded. Rosályn giggled. "When will Vanie bring daddy home?"

The freedom fighter dropped his head. "Oh, Rosályn... Rosie, honey..." He rubbed his thumbs over the backs of her hands. "Rosie..." He looked back up at her.

Her expression fell and she whimpered at the tears streaming down his face. "Darling girl... He's not... He can't come home..."

"W-why?"

Matthew pursed his lips. "He can't... I'm sorry, little Rosie... He's not coming home."

"B-but... But daddy said..." She whimpered, dark blue eyes glassy with tears already building up. "Where is daddy? I want him."

"I know." He nodded, running his fingers through her hair. "I know you do. He can't come home, though... Not for a very long time..."

Rosályn shook her head and sobbed. "No! No, I want daddy!"

She gasped and looked up at the door opened.

Matthew looked over his shoulder.

Keith stood in the doorway, cheeks bright red and soaking wet. His chest heaved as if he had just run the whole way back. He hurried over as Rosályn stretched her arms out towards him. Matthew dodged and slid out of the way.

Rosályn cried, holding Keith tightly. "Mommy! Mommy, where's daddy!?"

"He's not here..." Keith held her tighter, nuzzling into her as he sank onto the bed. "D-daddy's not coming home..." He whispered, rocking with her.

"But he said!" Rosályn shouted, pushing back to look into her mother's dark, watery eyes. She whimpered, sinking back onto his chest. "Daddy said..."

Keith swayed, gently petting her hair back. "I know he did... I know..."

-----

779 words

Short, but each word packs a punch, doesn't it?