Thirty-Seven

She had dada, now.

But now mommy didn't want her.

Mommy didn't want to hold her or rock her or tuck her in anymore. Mommy didn't want to play with her, bounce her, or let her play with his hair.

What did she do? Why didn't mommy want her anymore? Why was mommy walking away from her for the umpteenth time that day?

Rosályn whimpered, waddling after Keith. "Mommy... Mommy, up... Mommy, hol' me... Mommy, mommy!" Rosályn started to cry again, stopping as she realized her mommy wasn't going to pick her up. "Mommy!" She wailed, dropping onto her bum. "Mommy!" She screamed, collapsing to the floor. "Mommy, mommy, mommy!"

She was suddenly being lifted up, almost too quickly. Rosályn gasped and clung to the warmth that now surrounded her.

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry, Rosie." Keith murmured, squeezing her tightly. "I'm so, so sorry, baby girl. I'm sorry, I'm sorry..." Keith sobbed and shook, burying his nose in her hair as he held her as close as possible. "I'm so sorry, baby..."

"Mommy..." Rosályn curled his fingers into Keith's dark locks, relaxing and sobs turning to little whimpers. "Mommy..."

"I know... I know, sweetie."

~

Lance lounged in the bridge, slouching in his seat as he stared out the giant window. He didn't look up as the door opened, assuming it was an Altean.

"Lance? What are you doing in here?"

The blue paladin blinked, then sat up and looked back at Hunk. "I was just-"

He paused, gaze searching around and behind his fellow paladin. "Uhm... Where's Rosályn?"

Hunk blinked, then made his way over to Lance. "I wanted to talk to you about that..."

"Oh my God, Hunk! You lost my daughter!?" Lance yelped, shooting to his feet.

"No! No!" Hunk shouted, raising his hands and eyes wide. "No, I didn't- no! I'd never!"

Lance gestured wildly around Hunk. "Then where is she!?"

Hunk placed his hands on Lance's shoulders and sat him down. "If you'd let me get there, I'll tell you. Settle down, dude."

The blue paladin breathed deeply, but kept his eyes on Hunk.

"Alright, so, we went in the kitchen, and Keith was there." Hunk watched as Lance's expression saddened, hos chest tightening. "Well, I didn't think Rosie noticed, because she was laying on my shoulder. I set her down on one side of the counter, and Keith left. Just walked right out." Lance's gaze flickered down to his lap. "Well, so I turned around to get together some snacks, then I turned back around and Rosie was gone. I started freaking out, looking all over the kitchen, all in the dining room, and I was about to start running up and down hallways when I heard Rosályn start screaming and crying for Keith.

"So, I hurried into the hallway just in time to see Keith run back to her and pick her up."

Lance blinked, then looked back up at Hunk. "He held her?"

Hunk nodded. "Yeah. He held her, rocked her, apologized to her... I think I even heard him crying."

Lance dropped his head in his hands, shoulders sagging in relief. "Thank God... Three days, Hunk... Three days he refused to so much as look at her."

The yellow paladin slowly nodded again, rubbing Lance's shoulder. "I know... I know, buddy."

~

Lance hummed softly as he was woken by cold, gentle fingertips brushing over his cheek and into his hair.

"Lance... Lance, wake up..."

"I'mn awa..." The blue paladin breathed out, shifting into a warm, comfortable position and relaxing. The fingers combing through his hair only coaxed him quicker to sleep.

"Lance, come on. You need to sleep sleeping on the sofa. Sleep on a bed."

He yawned and stretched, but nuzzled back into the pillow. A soft sigh sounded beside him, fingers stopping in his hair. Lance smiled lazily as a thumb stroked slowly over his cheek in smooth motions.

"Please...? Will you please come to bed with me?"

"Mmhm..." Lance cracked his eyes open just barely, but closed them again, tugging the thin blanket tighter around his chest.

"Lance... Lance, I- I'm sorry..."

Lance groaned tiredly, reaching out. Once his hand found soft hair, he curled his fingers in it and tugged them closer.

A warmth crawled up onto the sofa and into his arms. Lance hummed, wrapping his arms snuggly around them and nuzzling the top of their head. His back was rubbed, a face tucked itself into his chest. Lance relaxed again with a sigh, letting them scoot up to use his arm as a pillow.

"Lance... Can you forgive me?"

He rested his cheek on their head in response, too tired to form any words.

Sleep so easily pulled him back under once the warmth tucked against him stayed quiet and gently rubbed up and down his side.

"Love...you..."

-----

803 words

Love you guys :)