i. The Minotaur

╔═══════════════╗

╔═══════════════╗

chapter i.
( the lightning thief )
❝ the minotaur ❞

╚═══════════════╝

      "CLAIRE! HURRY UP!"

      "I'm coming!"

      I pulled at the laces of my boots, curling the white string around my wrists. Lee Fletcher, the cabin counsellor was readying everyone for breakfast, and like always, I was running late. Once I finished up tying up my shoes, I jumped to my feet from the end of my bed, slipped on my jacket over the orange camp shirt and hurried out, slipping my dagger in my boot and grabbing my bow and quiver of arrows on the way.

      Different is a word I liked to call myself. It's a word everyone who is at this camp is accustomed to. At Camp Half-Blood, everything is different. We, ourselves, are different than most people on this planet. To be blunt, we are all the children of Greek Gods. Half-bloods, half-human, half-god.

      I and my siblings are the children of Apollo, the god of music, poetry, medicine, plague, prophecies, light ... you get it.

      I've been at this camp since I was seven. After a full year and a half on the streets with three of my closest friends, Luke, Thalia and Annabeth, we were found by Grover, a satyr (half-goat, half-human). He led us here, to this camp for our safety. But not all of us made it. On Half-blood hill, we were attacked by the Furies, Hades' torturers and Hell Hounds, and Thalia sacrificed herself so that we could get through. As she died, her father, Zeus, turned her into a pine tree, which kept a magical barrier around the camp, so we all could be safe.

      I met Lee, Michael Yew, the second oldest; Will Solace, a new boy who was slightly younger than myself; and finally Ji Sung, or 'Jay' as he liked us to call him (he moved from South Korea at a young age); outside our cabin. Usually, there were a few more. Jenna and Kylie, who I knew the most, are identical twins. But they spent winter at home, going to school and such.

      "Are you ready now, Claire?" Lee said, his brows raised, and I nodded.

      "Raring to go, Lee," I said with a grin, fixing my denim jacket more properly around my body.

      "All right then, let's get to breakfast."

      We started to walk down the hill towards the pavilion.

      "Who's checking the cabins today?" Jay muttered from beside me, and I winced in realisation and said to him.

      "Aphrodite."

      Jay groaned. "Oh, you got to be kidding me."

      As we walked, I looked around the Camp, the sun blaring in the sky, shimmering against the golden Apollo cabin, making it glint brightly. All the cabins surrounded the big bonfire in a 'U' shape. Zeus and Hera cabin's the largest, standing tall at the top. Each cabin looked different, to resemble each God on Olympus. For example, the Ares cabin was painted red and had barbed wire around it, or the Aphrodite cabin was like a Barbie dollhouse.