iv. Capture The Flag

╔═══════════════╗

╔═══════════════╗

chapter iv.
( the lightning thief )
❝ capture the flag ❞

╚═══════════════╝

      THREE DAYS PASSED, and so far, I have succeeded in not pushing Percy off the lava wall. The only times I really saw the boy was when me and Annabeth taught him Ancient Greek, and when he joined archery once and Chiron tried (and failed) to teach him. In the end, Percy had to detangle a stray arrow from his tail.

      It wasn't hard to notice that Percy seemed very interested in me, despite his constant sarcastic remarks and comments whenever we had a conversation. He would watch me with interest whenever he passed where I was doing my daily activities. Whether it be archery, or climbing the lava wall.

      On the second night, my dream had gotten worse. It still mentioned Percy, and whatever was stolen and how it had to be returned by the summer solstice, but a new voice appeared. It was dark and booming, shaking everything under my feet and myself as well. It seemed to stay inside my mind, echoing throughout my ears and vibrating through my body.

      And it scared me.

      On Thursday, the fourth day since Percy came to camp, I decided to join Luke and the Hermes cabin in their sword fighting session, as I had succeeded in splitting an arrow in my archery session, and Lee and Chiron decided that I could have the rest of the lesson off. When I saw Luke, I smiled and he grinned back.

      "Well, well, look who's decided to turn up." The son of Hermes said, spinning his sword around. The rest of the Hermes cabin turned to look at me. They were all in a circle surrounding him, and I realised Luke had decided to show off instead of teaching. "Split another arrow?"

      I shrugged. "I try my best." I stopped in front of him, glancing at the rest of the kids, eyeing two in particular. "So ... are you just showing off? Or are you actually trying to teach?"

      Luke chuckled, casually wrapping an arm around my shoulder. "Both."

      I caught Percy's sea green gaze, and I swallowed hard, looking away.

      "All right." Luke then said, removing his arm from my shoulder, addressing the campers. "If Percy doesn't mind, I want to give you a little demo."

      I saw Percy pale, and I bit my lip at Luke, and he gave me an 'it's all right', look, so I stepped back and Percy came forward into the circle. Every camper in the circle were suppressing smiles except for me. Luke was the best swordsman the camp's had for over three hundred years, and Percy was going to get smashed.

      Luke then explained that he would demonstrate a useful disarming technique: how to twist the enemy's blade with the flat of your own so that he or she would have no choice but to drop their weapon.