Epilogue

╔═══════════════╗

epilogue.
(  sea of monsters  )
❝ broken promises ❞

╚═══════════════╝

      THE SHROUD WAS A LYRE FOR APOLLO. Cabin seven burnt it with the whole camp watching. Tears in their eyes from losing their counsellor, their sister, their friend—and for the lost of Jay as well, for he was all but dead to those who knew him—as they say their final goodbye to Claire Moore.

     Percy found it unfair. He and Annabeth were given praise, while Claire was burnt. They didn't have a body to wrap her shroud around, for after she died her body disappeared, becoming the very light that surrounded them. That helped Percy a little bit, giving him the feeling that she was still there, watching over him—over them.

     He had been so angry afterwards. She had died in his arms. Right before him. He had promised her—promised the world—that he would keep her safe, that she wouldn't have to die. he failed her. He broke the promise. And it was Luke's fault. Luke killed her. Luke did all of this.

     Annabeth was in tears. He didn't realise until now, but Annabeth was the last one left. Luke betrayed her, Thalia was dead, and now Claire was dead too. Out of the original four, she was the only one left. Percy was angry for her too. Luke hurt them all too much.

     Hannah stood by the fire. She tried to keep it in, but she couldn't. She cried over her shroud, and Chiron watched on with a grave face. Even Dionysus managed to look like he cared. Everyone loved Claire, and her death was a great hit to all of them.

     Percy was still there after they all left. The shroud was ash now, but he still sat there. Alone. In the dark. Everything was dark. There was no light anymore—quite literally. Claire was light.

     They always had trouble getting along, but Claire was Percy's family too. He ... Percy covered his head in his arms, trying not to cry as he thought of her. Her smile, her stupid button nose and her strong, loyal support that she had for all of them no matter what. Claire deserved better. Luke did this, the gods did this ... he did this ...

      He should've stopped her, he should've saved her. She could still be alive if he had found a way—if he could've found a way ... he was the son of Poseidon! He could've doused her in water or something!

      "I'm sorry, Claire," Percy found himself saying. "I'm so sorry."

      "She knows."