xxiv . Family, Luke

╔═══════════════╗

╔═══════════════╗

 chapter xxiv.
(  the sea of monsters  )
❝ family luke, part two
( you promised ) ❞

╚═══════════════╝

       I WANTED TO GO ALONE. I felt like—no matter how scared I was—that Luke might listen to me. I believed I could convince him to come back. I could turn invisible now. And the more I practised it, the longer I could last. But Percy wouldn't have it. That angered me. He told me that either we all went together, or nobody went.

"Nobody!" Tyson voted. "Please?"

In the end, he came along. I'm guessing he didn't want to be left alone in the women's restroom by himself either. We stopped at our cabin long enough to grab our things—figuring that whatever happened, we would definitely not be staying another night aboard this ship. Double-checking I had my dagger up my sleeve just in case. Percy didn't want Tyson to carry anything, but Annabeth told him that it was okay; Tyson could carry three duffel bags over his shoulder as easily as one could carry a backpack.

We sneaked through the corridors, following the ship's YOU ARE HERE signs towards the admiralty suite. Annabeth and I scouted up ahead, hidden by our individual ways of invisibility. She seemed a little miffed that I could become invisible as well—("That's my thing!" She has said jokingly)—but it meant we had two eyes on the scene. Annabeth could last as long as she wanted with her cap, I had limited time before I would pass out. But it also meant I could sneak off from the group without them noticing at the right time. And it quickly came around when we came up the stairs to deck thirteen, and in front of us were two guys walking down the hallway.

While Annabeth hissed, "Hide!" and went back to grab the boys, I pushed myself to the side of the wall, sucking in and hoping that none of the guys would bump into me.

And then I saw one of the guy's faces.

It was like someone had punched me in the gut.

I was glad I could stay concentrated enough to not reappear right then and there, but if I did, then they would see the pure look of betrayal. I actually liked Chris Rodriguez. I always thought he was nice, and when I had free time and would go to the archery field, I would always hang out and practice with him and the rest of the Hermes kids. He was undetermined and rather quiet. I always thought he was quiet because that was just who he was ... but now I realised it was because he was always listening, observing ... I felt a rush of anger. How many had turned over to Kronos? Who else had been manipulated as Luke had? Who else is spying for him at Camp Half-Blood?

"You see that Aethipian drakon in the cargo hold?" he said to the other guy, a demigod I didn't recognise. Which was weird, but I assumed this demigod never had the chance to see Camp Half-Blood, which then made me a little sad.