x. The Fall

╔═══════════════╗

╔═══════════════╗

chapter x.
( the lightning thief )
❝ the fall ❞

╚═══════════════╝

      I REMEMBERED HEARING SOMEWHERE that hitting water from a high distance is like hitting concrete. But when Percy and I did hit the water, all I felt was freezing cold. To say that the water of the Mississipi River just splashed when we went under is an understatement. We created a small wave of water that crashed against the banks and washed up rubbish onto the sand.

      I didn't feel any pain. Maybe it was because of the shock, or maybe the cold disguised it. Maybe I was too focused on the horrible smell that filled my nose or the dirty water that got into my mouth.

      I still clung onto Percy tightly as we drifted slowly down to the bottom of the river. I refused to open my eyes, as I didn't think it would be good for my health if I did so. I already got some of the horrible, dirty water in my mouth, I don't want to ruin my body even more.

      But that was when I realised that my body wasn't aching, and my shoulder wasn't burning. I couldn't feel the poison swimming through my veins anymore. I peeked my eyes open, and I didn't feel the water rush towards them. In fact, I was completely dry. Around me, was a bubble of air large enough to fit Percy and me inside. I took a breath, and I nearly panicked. I could breathe. I didn't understand it, I could breathe underwater.

      I glanced to Percy. He must have been doing this. It must have been his powers that kept me safe along with him. I caught his sea-green eyes, and I realised that I was still holding onto him. In an instant, I pushed myself away. The bubble broke, and the water came rushing at me. My eyes stung and my clothes soon became drenched.

      I quickly started to kick my legs and pull myself upwards towards the surface of the water. When I thought my lungs would burst, I resurfaced, gasping.

      I glanced around. The Eads Bridge was a few feet away, and not one mortal that passed the streets along the shore seemed to notice a soaking demigod in the water. I felt a little bad leaving Percy alone in the murky water below, but he was the Son of Poseidon, and I felt that he needed to be by himself in this moment.

      I sighed and started to make my way to the shore, and when I neared, I could see Annabeth and Grover waving me over. When I reached them, they helped me from the water. Annabeth pulled me into a hug and Grover let out a long sigh of relief. I pulled away from the hug and I looked to the Arch. Helicopters had surrounded the burning building. Every emergency vehicle in St Louis surrounded the Arch. A large crowd of onlookers pushed and shoved each other to see what was happening. I swallowed hard. I hoped the family and park ranger were all right.