Chapter 7

Chapter 7: Before I even left, he was already walking away. 

A friend of mine who works as an editor from a well known magazine paid me a visit . She used to be a model like me. But now she works as an editor. 

"I don't know, Ritz. I'm done with the limelight, you know?" I said after she had said that she wanted me to be the cover of their magazine. 

"You're still in the limelight, Dix."

"Behind the limelight," I responded.

She sighed. "I know. But please, Dix. Just this once. Please. It's the anniversary of our mag."

I breathed out. "Why me? It's been years since I decided to stop modeling. There are a lot of famous models out there."

"People are still asking for you, Dixie. Kahit pa matagal ka ng tumigil sa pagmo-modelo. People want to know why out of the blue you turned your back on the limelight. You were at the top but you dropped everything and left."

Bahagya akong natigilan. Why did I leave modeling? I left for him. I left because I realized that Jeck was way more important than fame, ambition, and even my own dream. But my realization came too late.

"There was no big secret behind it."

"Still. Please, Dixie."

I breathed out. "When?"

Her face brightened up. "Thank you, Dix! I owe you big time!"

Ngumiti lang ako. After a week ay nagpunta na kami sa isang resort sa probinsiya para sa photo shoot. They made me look like a sea goddess. I must admit, I missed modeling and being in front of the camera. 

"That's a wrap! Great job, Dixie!" said the photographer.

"Thank you."

Nag- overnight kami sa resort. Kinabukasan ay ginawa na rin ang interview. The first few questions were easy since they were just about my work. But when they started asking personal questions, I suddenly became uneasy. 

"Why did you suddenly decide to stop modeling? Every model wanted to be you. You were at the top but all of a sudden you left the limelight," asked Ritz. She was doing the interview herself.

I smiled a bit. Then I breathed out to calm my nerves. I didn't wanna think about the past but I guess it was inevitable. 

"When I was young, all I wanted to do was to be like my mom. Continue what she gave up for my dad. I worked hard and focused on reaching my dream. I was so close to it."

"Yes, I heard you were even offered a once in a lifetime kind of opportunity but you turned it down."

"Yes. But I realized that achieving that dream wouldn't make me happy. So, I gave it up and left the limelight to chase my happiness."

Napaawang ang mga labi ni Ritz. "What is it or should I say who?"

Mapakla akong ngumiti. "In reaching my dream, I unintentionally had taken someone for granted. You know, it's true: you'll never know what you have until you lose it. Sadly, I didn't realize it sooner."

"So you're saying, you lost this guy? What happened? Did you fight for this someone? Can you tell us more about it?" 

I hesitated at first but then I thought, Jeck wouldn't probably even get to read this interview. He doesn't read magazines. 

I nodded. "I lost him."I breathed out. "We tried to work it out. We both wanted to save our relationship. But I guess, we were too broken to stay together. Besides, before I even left, he was already walking away. And it was entirely my fault."