Chapter 28

Chapter 28: "Everybody has a chapter they don't read out loud."

Maki and J visited me early in the morning because they knew that I was not okay, and for that, I was grateful to them. They brought breakfast, as well, but I didn't feel like eating. Napilitan lang akong kumain dahil kinonsensiya ako ni Maki. 

"These bitches!" he exclaimed after I showed him the comments of Phem's friends. "Gawa kaya ako ng fake account at patulan ko itong mga 'to!"

J gave him a scolding look. "Go ahead and stoop down to their level," he said.

Napanguso si Maki. "Minsan talaga ang hirap pag yung jowa mo masyadong mature mag isip," sabi niya sabay irap kay J. 

Natawa na lang ako ng bahagya. Habang si J ay napailing lang pero may ngiti sa labi. Nakakaintindi siya ng tagalog dahil tinuturuan siya ni Maki. 

J sat beside me. "This isn't you, D. This stalking thing. That ain't your style. What is your real problem?"

I bit my lower lip. Napayuko ako sa hiya. I felt ashamed of what I had done. J was right. Stalking was never my thing! I've always been confident but I suddenly turned into this stalking insecure girlfriend! And I hate it!

I tried to swallow the lump in my throat. "I feel like Jeck doesn't really love me," I confessed. 

Nagkatinginan ang dalawa. They seemed taken aback with what I've said. But that's what I really feel. Pakiramdam ko ay hindi talaga ako mahal ni Jeck. 

"What the hell are you saying, Xie?" manghang tanong ni Maki.

I looked at him teary-eyed. "He always says he loves me and all. But there are times when I feel like he doesn't mean it. Naisip ko, what if hindi na pala talaga niya ako mahal? What if Phem has already replaced me in his heart?"

"Xie-xie!"

"I know. I know how ridiculous it sounds! But what if I were right? What if he's really in love with Phem? What if he just got carried away with our 'what ifs'? It was Phem who put him back together when I left him broken. What if.." 

I clacked my tongue as tears rolled down my cheeks. Pinunasan ko ang mga luha ko. Maki pulled me in his arms and rubbed my back.

"God. How long have you had these thoughts in your head? Jeck loves you and I can vouch for that. Nakikita ko sa mga mata niya kapag tinitingnan ka niya."

"You weren't there when he was talking to Phem. He was different with her."

"Bloody hell," J muttered. "Look, I may not be friends with Jeck but believe me when I say that that man loves you."

"But what if he loves Phem more?" I asked, crying.

"Gaga! Ano ba iyang pinag-iisip mo? Mahal ka ni Jeck! Bakit ba lagi mong iniisip si Phem? Iniwan niya yung tao para balikan ka. Iyon ba yung mahal? I don't think so!"

"They were planning to get married befor-"

"That was before you came back," J said. "But isn't it he left her for you? Isn't that proof enough that he doesn't love her enough and that he loves you so much?"

"Girl, listen to us: he loves you. Jeck is in love with you."

"Then why hasn't he proposed yet? And why do I feel like he has no intention of ever proposing!"

"Sabunutan kaya kita diyan? God! What's happening to you? Where all these insecurities coming from? Te, not because he hasn't proposed yet doesn't mean he's not in love with you. Maybe he's just waiting for the right time."