Chapter 33

Chapter 33: "When it's real, you can't walk away."

I looked at the ring as I drank my beer. The guys are drinking with me. No one uttered any comforting words. They were just drinking with me, and let me have my moment of misery. 

"She said 'no', somehow, I was expecting that, but it didn't hurt less." I let out a dry chuckle. "This isn't the first time that she has turned down my proposal, I should be used to it by now, but no, it still stings a damn lot."

DJ handed me another beer. "Drink some more, buddy."

I took a gulp from it and wiped the tear that rolled down my cheek. "What would I do with this ring?"

"Benta natin, bro!" Vash said jokingly.

Zeck elbowed him. "Gago."

"Aw," he muttered with a grimace. "I was just trying to lighten up the mood, you know? Don't worry, bro, who knows, maybe after two years, you get back together again? Tapos propose ka ulit, malay mo tanggapin na niya diba?" I let out a dry chuckle while the others threw him a glare. 

"Can't you just fuckin' shut your mouth?" Cliff said.

"I can stitch it," Shin said, poker-faced.

Vash raised his arms. "I'll just sing for Jeck."

"Don't do anything stupid on my stage," Cliff warned. "Or I'll make you pay for everything tonight."

Ngumisi siya at lumapit sa stage. May kinausap siya at mayamaya ay umakyat na siya sa stage. When people saw him, they started cheering for him. 

"Hi everyone! This song that I'm about to sing is for a friend and it also goes out to those who are going through the same thing called 'heartbreak'."

Darlin', I can't explain

Where did we lose our way?

Girl, it's drivin' me insane and I know
I just need one more chance
To prove my love to you
If you come back to me

I'll guarantee that I'll never let you go

Can we go back to the days our love was strong
}Can you tell me how our perfect love goes wrong

Can somebody tell me how you get things back

The way it used to be
Oh God, give me the reason

I'm down on bended knees

I drowned myself in alcohol as I listened to Vash. I couldn't help but remember every happy memory that Xie-xie and I have shared, and wonder where it went wrong cause I honestly, have no idea. 

At the end, it was only Cliff who was sober and drove us home. The next few days, that was our usual scene. The only difference was the places where we'd have our drinking session. It was always at Rock Edge, but then we suddenly decided to have it at DJ's place, Vash's, Cliff's except for the married men's places. 

I woke up with an incessant ringing. I groaned and put the pillow on my head, wanting to sleep some more. 

"Throw the damn thing!" DJ groaned. "Vash, your phone gago!"

Inalis ni Vash ang unan na nakapatong sa ulo niya. "Gago, hindi sa akin iyon! Jeck, your phone!"

I muttered a curse, opened my eyes, and reached for my phone. I muttered a groggy 'hello'.  Bigla akong napamulat at napatayo ng marinig ang sinabi ng nasa kabilang linya. Napangiwi pa ako dahil nakaramdam ako ng hilo sa biglang pagbangon ko.