Chapter 34

Chapter 34: "The poison leaves bit by bit, not all at once."

"I'm sorry," I said. 

At first, Phem looked confused as to why I was apologizing to her, then it seemed like she had understood because she nodded slowly with a sincere smile. Everything was clear to me now. Jeck had already explained. The ring that I saw in his closet was Ed's. He just asked Jeck to keep it for him because Phem was getting suspicious, and he didn't want his proposal to be ruined.

She reached for my hands. "Take care of him," she said glancing at Jeck who was talking to Ed. "That man is so in love with you."

I stared at Jeck lovingly. "I know," I muttered, feeling guilty for what I had put him through. 

"He deserves to be happy."

I swallowed, feeling emotional. "He does." I cleared my throat and smiled at her. "Anyway, best wishes."

On our way home, we were both quiet like we were so scared to break the silence. I glanced at him. Phem was right: Jeck deserves to be happy. He didn't deserve the shit that I had put him through. 

"Jeck," I called softly. He glanced at me. "Can we go to the park?"

His forehead creased a bit. "Park?"

I smiled weakly and nodded. Sa halip na papunta sa bahay niya sa Golden Village, dinala niya ako sa park. We sat on the bench.

"Do you remember the last time we talked here?" I said, breaking the silence. I glanced at him. His jaw clenched. "This is where we said our goodbyes, isn't it?"

"It wasn't 'we'. It was only 'you," tiim ang bagang na sabi niya. "Did you ask me to come here to have a rerun?"

I breathed out then reached to touch his face. "No, Jeck. I can never let you go again. But there's something I want to ask from you." His forehead creased. Ngumiti ako at inabot ang noo niya para alisin ang pagkakakunot. "But first, I have a wonderful news."

Inabot ko ang kamay niya at inilapat sa tiyan ko. Nagtatakang tumingin siya sa akin. I smiled softly at him. His lips parted. Lumawak ang ngiti ko at tumango.

"We're having a baby."

Bumakas ang kasiyahan sa mukha niya. "Oh God.." Tuluyan siyang humarap sa akin. He cupped my face. "You're really pregnant? I'm gonna be a dad?"

"Yes!" I nodded, tears brimming my eyes. "You're gonna a daddy soon."

"Oh God. Thank you. Thank you!" he muttered, our foreheads pressed together. He pulled me in his arms and kept on thanking God and me. "We're having a baby," he whispered, looking overwhelmed.

He kissed me softly. Lalo akong naiyak sa kasiyahan ng makita ang pagtutubig ng mga mata niya. He looked so happy. I touched his face and kissed him with so much love.

"I love you," he said, teary eyed.

Inabot ko ang labi niya at hinagkan siya. "I love you, too."

He knelt down in front of me and put his hand on my tummy. "Hi there, baby. I am your daddy. God. I can't wait to see you." 

He planted a soft kiss on my tummy which was such a sweet gesture for me. I wiped his tears. Hinuli niya ang kamay ko at hinalikan.

"I love you, babe. Let's get married."

God. I wanted to say 'yes', marry him right away, and raise our baby together, but Phem was right: Jeck deserves to be happy. Yes, my issues with Phem had been explained, but what about our other issues?