Chapter 7 - Preparation

Much to my dismay, the next morning I awoke to an empty bed.

I couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed. After the moment Dean and I had shared the night before, I had been anticipating a pleasant awakening as well. I should've known better than to get my hopes up too fast with someone like him.

I did remember him saying that today would be full of preparations for the Luna ceremony, and although I didn't really know what that meant, I knew I should probably try and look presentable. There was no telling who I may have to interact with.

I slid out of bed and wandered over to the bathroom to take a quick shower and begin my morning routine. I made an effort to use Dean's shower gel and shampoo again today, as I felt he appreciated it even though he never commented on it.

Once I was out of the shower, I went through my normal motions before doing my hair and makeup. Today, I decided on loose curls and subtle makeup that was put-together but natural looking, and the outfit I picked reflected the same idea. I wore a pair of dark skinny-jeans with a loose, white blouse and black flats.

Upon exiting the bedroom, I was hit with a beautiful, warm aroma. My nose led me to the kitchen, where I found a plate full of warm eggs, bacon, biscuits, and fresh fruit. There was no one in the quarters, so I could only assume that Helen had made me breakfast while I was in the shower.

Refusing to let Helen's efforts go unappreciated, I sat down at the bar and ate my meal. I knew I wouldn't be able to finish, but hoped that everyone was beginning to expect that from me.

After eating all of the eggs and fruit, and at least half of the bacon and biscuits, I walked to the sink to rinse my plate and place it in the dishwasher. Without any further instructions or even a hint, I had no idea what was expected of me now. Dean had said that today was preparation day for the Luna ceremony, but did that even involve me? If he needed me, would he send for me? I honestly had no idea, and I felt that waiting to find out would only fuel my anxiety.

I decided to try and be bold.

I walked out of our quarters and made my way to his office.

Luckily, I had a pretty good sense of direction from all the years of cleaning the pack house. I'd never been to the Alpha's office before discovering he was my mate, but remembering a new bath came naturally to me.

Once I found myself outside his office doors, I felt the anxiety building in my stomach. What if this made him angry? After all, we'd never really established what I was and wasn't allowed to do.

With my wolf pushing me to be brave, I reached out and softly knocked on the door.

Silence.

It felt like the silence went on forever. What if he wasn't in his office? He was the Alpha; he could be anywhere!

After what felt like half a century later, he spoke.

"Enter," his deep voice called.

I took a deep breath and shoved the door open, preparing myself for the worst reaction possible. Anger. Rage.

"Audrey," Dean said, sounding surprised. "Is everything okay?"

I blinked a few times as I stared across the room at my mate, feeling rather dumbfounded. He wasn't mad? In fact, he actually seemed...concerned.

"I just..." I started, already feeling my words begin to stutter over my tongue. "You said that there would be preparations for the ceremony today. I didn't know if you needed me around."