Chapter 30 - Lunar Sea

The next morning, I awoke feeling sore and exhausted. I hadn't slept all that well due to being in a foreign place and Dean's anxiety that I could quite literally feel radiating off his body. It wouldn't surprise me if he hadn't slept at all. Although he'd laid next to me in the bed all night, he was restless and on guard. Despite my pleas, he still wasn't convinced that Trey wouldn't have me kidnapped or killed at any moment.

It was still early, but I knew the Founders' Week activities likely started early as well. Trey hadn't yet explained what all there was to do, but I couldn't help but feel excited, despite my exhaustion.

I decided to go ahead and get up so I could get ready for the day. After all, Trey also hadn't said what time he was going to come get us.

Dean jumped out of bed as soon as my feet hit the ground, clearly anxious to get up and get this day over with. We each quickly showered before picking out clothes from our suitcases and continuing on with our morning routine.

About a half hour later as we were close to being ready, a loud knock came from the door. I popped my head out of the bathroom to look as I was in the middle of finishing up my hair, only for Dean to wave me back as he stood up to answer the door.

He carefully unlocked the three locks that secured our guest room, and then slowly opened the door to reveal none other than an all too cheery Trey.

So, he was a morning person. Dean was going to love that.

"Good morning Dean, Audrey," Trey greeted us with a smile. "I'm glad to see I haven't woke the two of you. I was a bit worried about that, since I did neglect to tell you a specific timeline for today's events."

"I'm sure you're both hungry, so I figured our first stop today would be breakfast on the beach with our pack mystic, Merci. She does a bit of story telling about the pack's history while we eat...if that sounds okay to you both?" Trey told us, seeking our approval.

I thought it sounded like a lovely idea! I was hungry, and I was also very intrigued by Tropic Sun and its odd pack life. Perhaps I would learn something during breakfast that would help me understand better. After all, I do have roots here through my father and brother.

Dean looked back at me and immediately caught on to my excitement. He sighed, not even bothering to ask, before turning back to face Trey, "That will be just fine."

I smiled brightly before dipping back into the bathroom, quickly finishing up my hair, and then walking back out to join Trey and Dean. Trey nodded to me with a smile as Dean reached out to rest his hand on my back, leading me out of the room.

"What exactly is a mystic?" I asked Trey as the three of us walked towards the exit of the pack house, and then to the beach.

Trey chuckled, "It's more or less our term for a witch."

My eyes widened – a witch?! I'd heard stories about other packs having alliances with witches, but I was never sure just how true those stories were. Even when Dean had suspected his father of working with witches, I was skeptical. Although, this did make sense. It was always a bit of a mystery as to how Tropic Sun acquired their magic and potions – a witch was the perfect suspect.

"Don't be frightened, it's just a way of life for us here," Trey assured me.

I nodded and forced a smile, telling myself that this would be fun and interesting. After all, I'd never met a witch before.

Dean, however, was seeming just as tense today as he had yesterday.

As we approached the beach, I could make out a group of people in the distance, sitting in the sand and talking amongst each other. It was still fairly early, so I was surprised at the number of pack members who'd already made it out. Perhaps everyone in Tropic Sun was a morning person. With such a beautiful area to live in, it was almost understandable.