Chapter 29 - Traditions

The rest of our time in Trey's personal lounge went smoothly, for which I was very grateful. Brenna and Reya made light conversation and made me feel welcomed, while Dean continued to down his drinks.

I was also grateful for that, as they seemed to help him loosen up.

Trey tried to crack jokes here and there to lighten the mood, and I appreciated the effort. The more Dean drank, the more he also seemed to appreciate it. As long as Dean could control his tongue and temper, I knew this trip would be at least somewhat enjoyable.

After about an hour, Trey looked down at his watch to check the time before jumping up from the couch, "It's about time for the feast. We should all go ahead and take our places at the head table before the pack members arrive."

Brenna and Reya stood up first to exit the room, followed by Dean and myself.

Slowly, we followed the three of them down a long hallway that led to the other side of the pack house, and then through a set of large double doors. When the doors opened, a massive dining hall with high ceilings was revealed.

There were rows upon rows of tables lined up, perhaps even more than in Dark Root, and each table was decorated with blue place mats and several lit candles. To our left near a row of tall windows was a large table set off by itself – one that I could only assume was the Alpha's table.

Sure enough, Trey led us all in that direction with Brenna closely trailing behind him. I could already tell from the minimal interactions we had that she would be an excellent Luna.

Once we reached the table, Trey took his seat in the middle with Brenna on his right and his mother on his left. Reya quickly gestured for us to sit on the other side of Brenna, and I assumed the Beta family would be taking their place on the other side shortly.

Shortly after, an older couple joined the table with a young man, perhaps only a year or so younger than Brenna, by their side. I assumed he must be Brenna's younger brother and the Beta of the pack, since she and Trey said she was from the Beta family. For a moment, I couldn't help but wonder if Brenna felt cheated out of the Beta position since she was the first born, but I of course, didn't question it. Luna was a higher title than Beta anyways, so I was sure she was likely content.

After Dean and I took our seats next to Brenna, the pack members began to file into the dining hall. They seemed to come in groups – family by family. I had to admire how close-knit they seemed from afar despite the way the mating system worked in this pack, but I knew it could all be for show. After all, my so-called father had always portrayed us as a happy little family when we were around others, despite the fact that he abused me in private.

I inwardly cringed at the memories.

Pulling me from my thoughts, Omegas began to enter the room with platters full of food, approaching the Alpha's table first. I could see plates of thick-sliced ham, potatoes, fresh vegetables, pasta, rotisserie chicken, a variety of sauces, and even rice. I hadn't been expecting such a large meal, but then again, what had I been expecting when Trey referred to this as a feast?

The Omegas served Trey and Brenna first, taking their requests one by one and scooping the food onto their plates politely. They then moved to Reya and filled her plate before serving us the Alpha's guests.

Dean chose ham, potatoes, and vegetables while I went for the chicken, pasta, and vegetables. The food looked amazing, and me and my unborn pup couldn't wait to dig in.

I only hoped the nausea wouldn't interfere.

Once the Alpha's table was fully served, the Omegas moved on to the pack members, filling their plates in order of rank, I assumed.