Chapter 32 - Troubles Await

The next morning came rather quickly, although I slept terribly. I guess I was anxious about the flight back home, and a bit sad to leave Tropic Sun so soon. Dean seemed to sleep soundly next to me, and I hoped that meant he was finally a bit more at ease with Trey...although it took him quite literally the entire trip to get to that point.

When the sun rose, Dean and I got out of bed and cleaned ourselves up before packing up our bags. Trey had offered for us to stay for breakfast, but Dean politely declined and insisted that we needed to get back to Dark Root as early as possible. I knew he not only wanted to get back to his own home and territory, but he would likely have a ton of work to catch up on once we arrived. Our Beta took care of the pack and most of the Alpha duties while we were away, but that didn't mean there wouldn't be plenty leftover to do.

Trey, Brenna, and Reya all saw us off to the airstrip where our plane was ready and waiting. We quickly exchanged goodbyes, not wanting to get too emotional, and then Dean and I boarded the plane to make our way back home.

Once we were seated inside the plane, I looked out the window to see Trey and Brenna still standing there, holding each other lightly as they watched the plane begin to move down the runway. Even from a distance, I didn't miss the sad looks on their faces, and I genuinely hoped I'd get to see them again soon.

The plane quickly ascended into the air, and I molded myself into Dean's side, resting my head on his chest before slowly falling to sleep. I was thankful for the rest – not only was I incredibly tired, but the thought of being thousands of feet in the air still didn't sit well with me.

When I awoke, we were back safely on the ground. Dean gently nudged me, hoping to wake me without startling me, and I reluctantly opened my eyes before letting out a long yawn.

"Almost home," he said softly before urging me to get out of my seat. I noticed his voice already sounded more relaxed now that we were back in familiar territory.

I complied and allowed Dean to lead me off the plane as I struggled to fully wake up and for my eyes to readjust to the lighting. Although it was rarely ever bright or sunny in Dark Root, the daylight was still bright to my sleepy eyes.

Once we made it to the car, Dean helped me inside and made sure my seatbelt was fastened before shutting the door and walking around to the other side of the car to get in. The Omegas quickly loaded our luggage into the trunk, hitting the top of it when they were done to signal the driver, and then we took off on our short drive back to Dark Root – home.

When we arrived back in pack territory, everything seemed just as how we'd left it. For a moment I was a bit disappointed that our pack members weren't gathered around to welcome us back, but then I remembered that our trip was kept a bit of a secret.

"We need to get you to the infirmary for a check-up," Dean said as the car came to a stop in front of the pack house. We hadn't even been gone a full week, so I felt that was a bit unnecessary, but I also knew there was no point in arguing with Dean about it. He needed to be assured that his mate and pup were in pristine condition, especially after travelling.

Although I still felt exhausted, I allowed Dean to lead me to the far west wing of the pack house where the infirmary was located. There we met with the same pack doctor who'd seen me last time – she was a kind, older woman with large green eyes. I was sure she'd been on staff here for many, many years, and likely always served the Alpha family and higher-ups.

"This will be a bit cold dear," she warned as she lifted up my shirt and smeared a cool, clear gel over my stomach. I was beginning to notice that my stomach curved out just the slightest bit, but I doubted anyone else would notice yet.