Chapter 28 - Glass of Bourbon

Reluctantly, Dean guided me in the direction of Trey and the car that had clearly come to pick us up and transfer us to pack territory. The smile on Trey's face never faded a bit as we approached him.

"I'm so glad you both decided to come – truly. I hope I'm able to make this trip fun and enjoyable for the two of you. I know our pack is very different from your own, but I hope to show you all that we're not as...crazy...as everyone makes us seem," Trey explained with a wink.

"This car will take us back to pack territory. It's not too far from here, maybe ten minutes or so, and once we arrive, I'll show you all to the guest quarters. I assure you, I've had the best room reserved for you two," Trey told us while gesturing towards the car.

He then opened the front passenger door and slid inside where the driver awaited. Dean followed Trey's lead and opened the back door, cautiously peeked inside, and then motioned for me to get in.

I almost chuckled at him, but managed to suppress it. It was as if he were afraid someone was going to jump out and attack or the car would explode once he pulled the door open. I knew he was being extra protective now that I was pregnant with our pup, but I knew just as well that he would've acted the same way if I wasn't.

It was nice to have someone who cared for me so much. Dean was the first person to show me this much love since my mother died, and I couldn't help but soak up every ounce of it.

Once inside the vehicle, I slid to the other side to allow room for Dean to get in behind me and then reached for the seatbelt to fasten myself in. Dean did the same before reaching over and taking my hand in his, clearly needing my touch to help keep him calm.

Although I did hope his worries would settle once we'd spent a bit of time here, I certainly didn't mind the affection.

After we all settled inside, I heard the trunk shut followed by two loud taps on the back of the car. With that signal, the driver put the car in drive and started us on our short journey to Tropic Sun territory.

The area around the airstrip was mostly barren, for obvious reasons, other than a few trees in the distance. However, the further we drove away from our arrival point, the more the scenery began to change. Suddenly, dense, lush trees lined the roadway, making it seem a bit dark out despite the sun shining high in the sky. Every now and then there'd be a curve in the road that revealed a large river running further back in the jungle.

Birds were everywhere, along with other wildlife that I couldn't quite make out due to the speed of the car. Regardless, it was all incredibly fascinating to me. Never in my life did I expect to see anything beyond Dark Root's border.

I turned my head for a moment to look over at Dean, only to see that he clearly wasn't as thrilled with the change of scenery as I was. I smiled sweetly at him, hoping to lighten his mood a bit, and received a light squeeze of my hand in return.

"I know I told you over the phone, Audrey, that we had a lot of events going on in the pack this week," Trey finally spoke, breaking the silence and diverting my attention from the jungle that surrounded us.

"This week is what we like to call our annual founder's week. We celebrate our pack's ancestors, founding Alpha, and the introduction of magic into our way of life. The events kick off tonight with a large pack feast, and will continue throughout the week with various activities," Trey explained.

The entire concept sounded bizarre to me, but interesting at the same time.

Dean, however, did not seem impressed.

"You're both welcome to attend any events that you'd like, but of course, also aren't expected to attend or participate in anything you're uncomfortable with. You're my guests and family – my number one priority is to make both of you feel comfortable here. Having fun is just a bonus," Trey added, shooting a wink at me through the rearview mirror.