9 | Ties

Part I

Aki looked up weakly to see him jumping down from the trees. If he was here, it was because of orders or merely him sneaking around. He knew she was here after all. The only surprise was that he wasn't being accompanied by anyone. On his way over to her, he scooped up her tantō and suddenly swooped his right arm around her waist and wrapped her left around his neck.

"You're so stupid! Stupid, stupid, stupid!" He muttered to her as he walked her toward a safer clearing. He could sense more chakra sources closing in on her right now and he refused to let her be injured any further. "Do you know how long it's been since I saw you last? And now you're here...injured and on the verge of death!" He kept his voice down so others wouldn't listen in. He sat her down against a tree trunk and then crouched in front of her.

Aki's vision was blurred but she knew who helped her. She couldn't merely forget him. Aki drew in a deep breath and spoke quietly, "Why're you here?"

"Hokage's orders." He responded moving over to her left side. "May I see the wound? I know Orochimaru gave you one. I'll report to Lord Hokage once I'm done here and-"

"Go tell Lord Hokage about Orochimaru, now." Aki cut his rambling off. "I'm sure I'll be here when you get back." She was still thinking of the Village before herself.

"But you-"

"Shisui," Aki cut him off again, this time with a stronger voice. "Don't mind about me right now, alright? I'll be here when you get back, most likely. The Village's safety is of utmost responsibility for you, so go."

Normally it'd be the girl trying to set a guy straight about his decisions but this time it was the other way around. Shisui, who was squatting on Aki's side, now propped himself up right in front of her face with an arm on either side of her. Aki's gasped and her breath caught in her throat after that. Usually emotionlessly aloof, that was broken by the obvious pinking of her cheeks.

Shisui sighed, "You're still the easily flustered, observant, introverted, selfless girl I remember...well, just a little more foolish and a little too independent." His words were thoughtful enough to make her crack a genuine smile. He was still her guardian, and he always would be.

"And you're still the persistent, humble, down-to-earth, guy I know too. You're just more protective and persistent now." Aki gave him a reply and the smile never faded.

"Protective?" Shisui pulled back a little so he could see Aki from at least the torso up now. Originally, he only kept an eye on her face.

"Itachi? Sasuke?" Aki raised a brow, obviously amused now by Shisui's partially embarrassed face now. She had very little humor, let alone any time to give herself any sort of break unless she was ill—but that wasn't necessarily comfortable.

"You're forgetting yourself?" Shisui retorted and suddenly realized his position over Aki. "Kyah! Gomen (Sorry), H-Hagami-san." He exclaimed embarrassedly and scrambled back off to her side. His face was an even darker shade than her's now.

"Shh!" Aki slapped her hand over Shisui's mouth and listened for anyone around. "I'm now 'Hagami' here. My name is...Aki." She forced the name between her lips and Shisui regained his composure. He gave her an empathetic look and she just gave him a sheepish smile.

"Oh," he murmured. "If you forgot, this forest is full of venomous creatures so I suggest you take this," he handed her a small pouch. "It's an antidote and judging by her condition right now, you're in need of it. It's not designed to fight it off but it'll certainly help relieve the symptoms."

"Thank you, Shisui."

"I'd appreciate if you'd use an honorific before you leave again." A sad look lingered in his eyes knowing that she wasn't able to stay here.