14.2 | Crafty

Part III

Hagami ran as fast as her legs could take her. She had sloppy form too, she pumped her arms by her sides and her steps were ecstatic. She would've been running much faster if she would keep her heart rate and her breathing under control.

And her emotions.

For a while she thought that she had discarded them along with her status as a shinobi of Konohagakure. But it seemed that now she was nothing but a frail leaf, waiting for the wind to take her away. Hagami drove her feet into the ground as a light rain picked up. She was near the border of the Land of Fire. She'd be able to make it across before Sasuke caught sight of her trail.

A sudden kunai caught her off guard when it launched into a tree to her right. She grunted as she dove to the left to avoid it hitting her. Hagami rolled on until she was a safe distance away and her Sharingan appeared instinctively. Faintly in the moonlight there was a tripwire and she gasped when it suddenly split into three. She ducked under them and the tantō that had been secured in her sheath now glimmered faintly.

Hagami knew better than to cut these tripwires. Under normal circumstances, she would've but the person using them would most certainly have a backup plan if she did so. And as far as she knew they've been dipped in poison. She stayed crouched until her ears picked up the slightest sound or her eyes picked up on the slightest movement.

There. She thought and with her other hand she took out three shuriken. She launched them precisely ahead and waited for them to be countered. As she waited, her tantō cut the tripwire above her on her right and she easily evaded the tripwire on the ground that snapped into attention when she cut the one above. Hagami heard the shuriken collide with something else in the distance so she finished up cutting the tripwires. She also managed to avoid all the smaller, more concealed traps that came with it.

Hagami leapt up when she heard footsteps and then rotated backward. Originally, Hagami had intended to land on the tree trunk that was closest but something, or someone, barreled straight into her back. She gasped loudly and her vision blurred for a second when she hit the ground, hard. Someone held her left hand, which held her tantō, against her back and something cool pressed against her neck. Their body weight was more than enough to hold her down right now.

"I don't ever remember you being this easily to catch and pin down," he muttered. Normally his voice was nonchalant, but now it was more of a mock or disdain. Hagami's eyes widened. She had been so caught up in making it to the border than just now his chakra was registering in her mind.

"And I don't ever remember you being so naïve." Hagami retorted with a sort of anger. "What're you doing here?" She snapped at him and attempted to heave his weight off of her back. With her face pressed against the ground it was hard to talk clearly too.

"I could ask you the same thing. What're planning? I know the Akatsuki's aiming for the next Hokage. Don't tell me that you're the one that's going to be killing her. You don't have the strength to kill her, because, I. Know. You." Shisui whispered in a low voice.

"Whoever said I'd be doing that?" Hagami found a burst of strength and dropped her tantō. Her hand slipped out of his hand and she rolled to her left. Her leg collided into his ribs that sent him off to the side. He was obviously caught off guard but it didn't take long for him to get to his feet again. "Do me a favor, alright? I know...we've been friends, best friends, from the time we're five years old..."

"Hagami, I'm not leaving here until you're back in the Village, you're a younger sister to me that I vowed to protect-"

"If you truly want to protect me then put the Village before your feelings." Hagami stared into Shisui's eyes as her Sharingan faded. "We've...We've been friends for almost ten years, in fact, I dare to say we're still friends. ...But I've taken this path for the safety of the Uchiha Clan and Konohagakure." Hagami drew in a sharp breath, "So if you're really going to be my older brother, you'll let me do this from the shadows...and alone." Shisui shut his mouth but Hagami still waited for him to retort. "You also said you'd wait. I'm promising you now that I will make it back. I have no doubts about that."

"But what if something goes wrong?" Shisui decided he'd better spill his worries now instead of trying to persuade Hagami back with force. "What if your sickness takes your life? Or another Village? What if what you're saying is all empty words to reassure me...and yourself?" He asked, his voice cracking at the end.

Hagami sighed and proceeded to draw two scrolls from her ninja pouch. Shisui's eyes widened and he took a step back out of caution. His hand reached for the tantō in his sheath. Hagami heard him shuffling around and shot her eyes up, "Relax. Take a look at these really quick." She held her arms out and Shisui initially refused. "Baka, you said it yourself that I didn't have the guts to kill anyone." She barked at him and Shisui sighed in defeat.

His eyes trailed down to the scrolls and it only took a few seconds to realize what they were. The two scrolls, filled with identical information laid in a code that only Hagami wrote in. Over the years it was revealed to be a number code when Itachi pestered her enough to reveal it; the only other person that read it was Hiruzen. And soon enough, Shisui pestered her to teach him so they'd have a secret system.

"You're going to get yourself killed." Shisui stated bluntly when he was finished glancing over it. "You've been keeping tabs?"

"Of course." Hagami rolled them up hastily and shoved them into Shisui's arms. "If you're going to be my older brother then you may as well help me out with this. I can't go back into Konohagakure, no matter what I tell myself. But I know that you're able to. Those two scrolls contain information on the Akatsuki, and as far as I know, you know how to read my code. Decipher it and once the next Hokage is chosen, give the information to them immediately.

"Itachi should know some of this code too, he'll be helpful because I made it so that not just one of you can figure it out. And if it gets lost, well then it wouldn't matter much. I highly doubt that any information on that scroll can be deciphered, and even if it is, all Villages are after the Akatsuki, right?"

"How current is this information?"

"Past few months. I just started documenting information." Hagami responded as the hairs on her neck stood on edge. Her eyes darted to her tantō quickly and then back at Shisui. "And one more request, you're going to have to forgive me for doing this," she added as she dove for her tantō. When she stood up, she squeezed the hilt until they split into two and she threw the left half straight at Shisui.

"What the-" he cut himself up as she shoved the two scrolls in his ninja pouch. He drew his own tantō and held it in front of him. Hagami's tantō ricocheted off of it and then implanted into a nearby tree. By the time Shisui looked to his location and back where Hagami previously was, she was already in the air. She brought the tantō down toward Shisui but he feinted away.

Those two scrolls...they contain vital information about the Akatsuki's motives, as well as their plans three years in advance. Hopefully Shisui and Itachi can decipher that and know that the Kyūbi can be kept under surveillance when the time draws near. But knowing Naruto when he was younger, doing so might not be an easy task. Hagami thought her plans over in her head as her tantō grazed Shisui's shirt sleeve. Hmph, he's probably right though. If I keep up this, I am going to get killed. She found an opening and her elbow made contact with his breastbone.

Shisui lost his breath and Hagami pinned his back against a tree with the tip of her tantō at his neck. Her arm was drawn back like a snake as someone landed in the clearing.

---

Here's the next chapter! Hooray! I updated! I've finally found the motivation and mindset to write this...

Uhm, furthermore, updates will continue to be slow because not having any plot line to really go with is tough. Most of this book is purely thought up by me unless it's obviously part of the plot line. And another thing, if you happened to take a peek at one of the previous author's notes about the books that I've written, published, and am working on and remember the one where it was a Fairy Tail Fanfic, bad news, it isn't happening. But another Naruto Fanfic may come into fruition in a couple days to weeks.

Thanks for your attention, now enjoy the chapter!

-silent

P.S. If you're in the mood to read some more then I highly suggest Ruination by: November-Foxtrot.