Chapter 03

My room seemed colder as I stepped inside. No one was here except for Jessica who was lying on her bunk. Her makeup had been cleaned away and she wore nothing except an oversized sweatshirt and shorts. I couldn't help but feel rejected as I saw that most of the females had vacated the room as if they hadn't been here the night before. The room had the fading scent of males and the carpet was still indented from the females' luggage.

I hastily wiped away any tears that may have fallen. Jessica was busy with a Rubix cube that Veronica had brought. Her hands slowly turning the cube in her hands as she stared at it angrily. It did not seem like she was really concentrating on the cube as she was to keep her hands from shaking. I was not sure if she even noticed me as she wiped roughly at a tear that dared to leak out of her own eyes.

"He isn't you mate, Iris," Jessica said as she put down the cube and stared at the ceiling. "I know that, the healers told me about it," I stammered, the rejection by Luca still hurting. "I've felt a potential bond before, but it was not as strong as this. It feels like a bond is there, actually there but muffled," I said as I tried to keep from crying, again. "I just didn't expect a potential bond to be that strong," I said.

"Of course, you're going to feel that way, he's a twin. The potential bond is likely going to be stronger. Especially for the identical ones. They share so many similarities that their mate's could be potentials for either of them," Jessica said as she put the cube down and jumped off the bed.

"I think I need a run," I said as I pulled out an oversized black sweatshirt from my bag. My wolf threatened to change and rip everything off, I quickly stripped down. "Shift, I'll run with you. I could use the fresh air," Jessica said as she grabbed my sweater. I didn't need to be told twice as I felt my paws hit the carpet.

A warm mixture of blacks, browns, whites, and golden fur covered my large body as I shook my head. "I love the black tips on your ears," Jessica commented as she opened the door for my wolf. The marks on the floorboards held evidence of many wolves making the same trek as myself.

My claws clicked on the concrete as we made our way outside. The heat from the sun had me stretch lazily and shake my fur out. Jessica stripped at the tree line, leaving our clothes in a small pile. "They'll be fine here until we get back," she said before allowing her shift to take over.

The silver and white wolf was roughly the same size as my own, maybe a little smaller. Her muscles were distinguished just like her fur as it seemed to glitter in the setting sun. Black claws peaked out from her white paws and a pink tongue hung low as she panted. She tenderly rubbed her cheek against mine before nuzzling along my neck. Her tail swung left and right in the air. Friends. My wolf responded in kind.

Quickly, Jessica nipped at my side before bolting into the trees. I let out a bark of annoyance and the chase began. Her gait was not as fluid as mine. I was unsure if it was because she did not know the land or a lack of training. My father and I had been in these woods enough to know the terrain. He had been careful to cover my scent during our trips to the council. He wanted me to be comfortable on the councils land but kept me clear of any unmated males.. "Some risks are necessary if I am to expect you to be Alpha," he would grumble. Jessica lumbered and tripped on roots and rocks as she tried to outrun me. Her wolf stumbled whenever she looked behind herself and saw me close behind. My wolf loved a good chase as she allowed Jessica to keep running in front, hesitant to stop the game so early.

My wolf lunged and tackled her to the ground. I playfully nipped at her ears as she growled lightly. Our fur getting a healthy coating of dirt and leaves as we tumbled. This was all play, no blood was drawn as we nipped at each other. Our paws flew in the air to push and not maim. My wolf loved to play with another wolf without worrying about her size. We didn't have to pull back in fear of hurting Jessica, her wolf could easily take our playful shoves without being thrown to the ground. When I played with my father, it quickly turned into a fight for dominance. His wolf knew his pup's time was coming. Both wolves wanted to test the other. Jessica wasn't our pack; we could easily play without needing to show who was more powerful.