Chapter 09

I stood in the arena, leering at the brown colored male on the ground. Surrounding us along the edges of the painted rectangle were wolves that came to watch the Trial. Many of his pack mates had left early on, the fight had definitely been in my favor. Few wanted to see the fall of such a prestigious member of their pack, undisciplined cowards.

Several high ranking members of other packs had shown up. After the male's squeals started to echo through the forest, many came to watch me in action. A female Heir was rare which meant their wolves wanted to analyze my fighting skills. They wanted to assess my ability to defend my pack. They wanted to see power in action. My wolf has always earned the right to stand tall. Based on their faces, I had earned respect by many of them.

The Beta and neighboring second born wolf had been easy wins for me as well. This wolf was gasping for more air into his lungs like a fish, as opposed to my breathing, strong and steady. What was left of his tail was tucked tightly between his legs. Yes, father had trained his offspring well.

He was shaking as he cowered beneath my wolf's shadow. His blood and urine covered his body and soaked into the ground as he cried out his submission. High pitched whines begged me not to tear out an already scarred throat. His missing ear was in the grass a few feet from us. The male had been overly ambitious if he thought he could overthrow me. I had made sure that I left an impression in every challenge that stepped in my way. He cried out as I latched onto his scruff and threw him to the ground again on his other side.

Wounds had opened his flesh from his tail to nose that would forever display my wrath. My claws did not know shallow as his fur was slick with the red liquid that covered his body. My once grey claws were stained with blood as I slashed into his rump again. I saw glimpses of bones where flesh had once been. He cried out as I bit into his side again and again. The pieces that went down my throat were barely a snack as the rest was discarded from my jaw for the flies. No one should ever challenge the alpha's heir.

I hastily regurgitated the last three inches of his tail and flesh as he whimpered. I snorted at his pathetic cries as I shook out my fur. He whined out as I looked at the referee and nodded. I was done with him. "The winner of Trial 42C is Heir Iris Ironclaw," the referee announced as the male closed his eyes in shame. Cousin or not, I was not going to be merciful. You challenge Ironclaw, you'll suffer our wrath.

I heard a howl from Sarah as she sat in a tree to gain a better view. The rest of my wolves joined her in their joy. Looking around, I didn't see Terrance or Luca much to my disappointment. They hadn't shown up to any of my trials which soured my mood. The wolf beneath me tried to push himself up. I glared at him which forced him on his back, his neck angled my way. His spirit had been shattered by my ruthlessness. My wolf was begging me to take his throat as I showed him my teeth, stained with his blood.

My wolf gave the male beneath her a hard look. "I could have ended you, it would have been within my right," she seemed to snarl at this wolf. If he wasn't blood related, I wouldn't have thought twice about opening his throat. He had a pup at home to take care of anyway. Ironclaw will not be challenged.

The Beta male that had entered the arena with me earlier this morning hadn't been so lucky. He would be going back to his pack in pieces, most of which were eaten by passing birds. The second born was luckier, I only tore his throat out as his brothers watched and howled in mourning. The warriors assigned to the arena had to hold them back as they dragged him away, leaving a trail of mess. I was quick, I

I huffed at him and gestured for him to leave.

As he got up, he shuffled over to his ear, gently picking it up with his teeth. Stupid wolf. I barked at him to leave it. Instant obedience overtook him as he abandoned my trophy and fumbled out of the arena. His legs shook beneath him and occasionally giving out from his weight. Muscles and tendons had been torn by my teeth and claws. His mate looked at him in disappointment as his prestige lowered in her eyes. My overpowering scent that coated his body filled her nose as she growled at him, he lowered himself as he went to the medical tent.