Chapter 24

The bus trip to the forests closer to the mountains was eerily quiet. Nervous energy permeated the air as I sat next to Terrance. My father and mother were in a separate bus and the Betas had the other two. We approached the campsite where we would leave our juveniles and I could hear the soft weeping of a mother as she hugged her child. First timers always had it hard.

"You just keep up and earn your spot with the group," I heard a father say to his daughter. I continued to listen on the bits of advice the parents shared with their offspring. Many of them had gone through this ceremony themselves. "You're small but you have a nose and a good head." "Don't be lazy. Wolves won't keep you in their pack if you're lazy."

"My Heir," a wolf asked, breaking my concentration as I looked at who called me. "Thank you for never allowing the other wolves go easy on my male. I think it will help him have a chance at completing this task," he said as his mate clung to their male. Cloudy eyes stared at nothing as he nodded at his words. "I aim to make my pack proud," he announced with a tight smile. Terrance ground his teeth next to me. "The Winter Trials have a purpose, male, and just because you don't see it doesn't mean you should look down on it," the juvenile whispered harshly towards Terrance. I allowed it; I knew him enough to know he wouldn't keep his mouth shut anyway.

"Yes, and what reason is that," Terrance growled out before I elbowed him in the ribs. "It teaches us discipline. Only the ones that trained to survive, will. Those that are arrogant or lazy will be given to the Moon. It is a shame your pack is not fortunate enough to teach such discipline," the blind male said as his lip twitched. I didn't know if it was to show his canines or to smirk, I was just glad he was smart enough to catch himself. I could tolerate some banter towards Terrance but he still outranked the juvenile wolves.

As we approached bus rumbled towards the campground on gravel road, I could see other packs with their juveniles. I glanced at Terrance who was looking out the window, worried about how he would behave. I didn't want to have to discipline him in front of other packs. I must not have been good at hiding my emotions because Terrance took a deep breath and said, "I'll be on my best behavior, Iris. I won't try anything until we get back to Ironclaw." I rolled my eyes dejectedly at him as he kept his eyes out the window. I stopped short of clasping his hand when I felt his dread through the bond that made my stomach turn to acid. I wish I was born male.

All our wolves were stoic and slow getting off the bus. Several of the parents kept at least one hand on their pup, wanting every moment they could have. A sharp scream broke the silence as everyone turned in the direction. A scrawny young male from another pack was dragging one of my females by the ankle as she clawed at the ground. "Mama! Papa! Make him let go," she screamed as she kicked with her free leg. She screamed profanities as she struggled in his grasp, I heard her parents yelling for help as they were held back by Crow Perch wolves. I felt Terrance on my heels as I marched towards the male. "Unhand her! Unhand her, now," I commanded as every bit of my dominant tone went to my voice.

The brown haired male loosened his grip as my female crawled away, tears falling down her cheeks. Terrance helped her up and pushed her behind him, the Crow Perch male growled at him. I released my own snarl which had him turn his neck away from me. He was a young first-born, I was surprised that an heir had turned his neck to me so easily.

The Crow Perch pack were no cowards, they were always ready for a rumble. They rivaled us in numbers and land but that did not mean I would allow my females to be treated harshly. "You have no right to interfere, Iris. She is my mate. She is ours," his wolf growled at me. Blue eyes glowered at me, a rare sight for a shifted wolf. "You know the law, Crow. None of Ironclaw's females will be claimed until they are ready. The Trials is not a mating ground," I said as he tried to push around me. I pushed him back easily as his teeth almost clipped my jaw. I did not have time to retaliate with my own set of canines. Terrance's arm whipped around me and pushed me behind him. The male struggled for breath and clawed at Terrance's hand as he held him off the ground. "Iris is to never be touched by you. Am. I. Clear," Terrance growled, his wolf's eyes shining through. With a quick nod from the Crow male, Terrance dropped him before stepping away. Irritation hummed through the bond at his wolf before I swallowed down the hurt.