Chapter 20

I watched the juveniles training while the older pups watched. Most of the pups were fifteen and thirteen, going into the transition from puppyhood to juvenile wolf. Terrance was avoiding me again. My father had yelled at him for killing the doe, his wolf furious when he found out that Terrance had ignored my orders.

My mother held a private scolding for him as my father and I went for a run. My father's wolf had given me a more hands-on lesson for not controlling her Luna-to-be. If I was to be Alpha, I had to be sure every wolf knew their role to play in the pack. His antics were getting tiresome and I wondered what to do. It had only been a few weeks now and October was just starting. I had not made any progress with Terrance. If this kept up, I doubted he would be able to stay here much longer.

I took a sniff of the air towards the pups who sat on the sidelines. The scent of their wolves were beginning to cover the sweetness that pups carried. It wouldn't be long before their fur made an appearance. One was clutching his stomach, any day now his canines would be descending. His skin held a sheen of sweat as his shaggy brown hair was pushed away from his eyes again. He was the pup of Trevor and Michelle Johannsen. Michelle had been born from a Western pack that was northeast of us by a few hundred miles. Her hair was in its typical bun that was in fashion for the Magic Mist pack. Trevor had been born from a pack south of Terrance's pack in the Eastern region. His mother had runaway from the pack after killing her true mate when Trevor was just four winters old. The scars on both had shown why. They stood to the side with several other parents of the oldest pups.

Michelle looked worryingly at her oldest pup as he wiped his brow again. The sugary scent was only a whisper compared to the scent of wolf. Trevor whispered reassuring words to his mate. They had decided to wait to name their pup until after he completed his Trials. Michelle had told us that Magic Mist had a similar practice and that she trusted our teachings to keep her male alive. Even so, the bells were still a week away from ringing singling the deadline for wolves that would be in the Winter Trials.

A part of me felt sorry for the youngest juveniles, they would have less training than their peers to prepare for their Trial. Their parents had worried expressions as they started to accept that they might not see their pup in the spring.

"I remember when you first shifted. Just a second before the midnight bells at only eleven years old. Your wolf was the tiniest thing I'd ever seen. Just a brown and gold mass of fur," my father said as he sat next to me. My wolf purred as we thought of simpler times. I hadn't even heard him approach and scolded myself for being so unobservant. "It didn't matter how hard you trained or how in tune you were with your wolf, I was terrified that you wouldn't return to us," my father admitted. "I remember the pack saying I could stay until next year. That the bells rang and I missed the deadline. Mayra saying, I was too young. I disagreed. I wanted to prove myself and I trusted my wolf," I said as I recalled my father holding me tight just before my trial. "I think that was one of the only times our entire pack lied to me," my father said with a smile. "They cherish us because we cherish them. A true alpha will always cherish his pack and their traditions," I said as he ruffled my hair playfully. "You proved us all wrong that winter. Let us hope that these batch of juveniles can push through," my father said as I nodded.

A sharp cry came from the Johannsen male as he rolled into the ground. The other pups surrounded him in concern as her parents ran to their male. I could smell the iron scent of blood as red dripped from his mouth. Michelle proceeded to check his mouth to reveal sharp, long canines. Trevor turned to my father with a beaming smile. "Alpha, his canines have come in," he said happily. "I see that Trevor," my father said before he chuckled. "I'm sorry Alpha, I don't know how to put them back in. I don't mean any disrespect," the soon-to-be-juvenile said turning his neck. His wolf shone through his blue tinted eyes that most pups had before their first shift. His body shivered as he truly felt my father and I's power. Alphas will always demand respect.