Chapter 10

The scent of excitement and blood that hung heavy in the air was making me anxious for the next fight. I was confident in my ability to defend my pack but everything seemed to be happening too fast. My shoulders felt heavy with the whispers in my head that gave me only a hint of doubt. To help ease my worries, I went to go sit on a fallen tree not far from the Trial area. The sun was halfway through it's decent to meet the horizon as it warmed me through the trees. I wish one of my parents could watch my Trials. My father was in the cells with the other Alphas that had pups competing in the Trials. It kept them from attacking those that ended their line of succession.

I was lost in my thoughts before I felt the bond heat up behind its barrier. I didn't need him to touch my shoulder to know who it was. My body was becoming familiar with them to distinguish a difference between the bonds that tied me to them. I couldn't help but shiver as the bond was freed once again when the tips of his fingers brushed against my bare shoulder. Terrance.

"I can't wait to sink my teeth right here," he said as he placed a kiss on my shoulder. I swatted him away with my hand, a growl coming forth. "That wont happen for a long time if you don't learn some respect," I said, crossing my arms. "I've never met a female with as much fire as you," he said with a coy smirk. "It will be wonderful to have you back in Canyon Creek, showing you where you belong, my light," Terrance said and I grumbled.

He was intentionally rilling me up. "I think your brother will be a better fit, if we are honest with each other," I said with a smirk. He huffed at my retort. "That wont happen. I won't let that happen," he grumbled. "You should think about the pack first. Your brother can follow orders and isn't the stronger one. You, all you need is a lot more training in discipline and you'll be a semi-decent Alpha," I said, refusing to hold my tongue. We were away from everyone else, all he had to do was sink his teeth into my shoulder and we would be stuck with each other.

"I'm the strongest of the two of us, you are correct in that aspect. He may have left the womb first but we both know that doesn't make him the first born. Not when we were cut from our mother." I nodded in agreement. "He may be smarter on when to submit. But I am no Luna and neither is my brother. We were born for better things. You just happen to get the best," Terrance said as he rubbed his cheek against mine. I pushed him to the ground and he laughed at my scowl.

"Remember, I still outrank you. I won't allow you to rub against me like a pup who can't control himself," I said, glaring at him. He glared back at me playfully before shrugging. His smile made my stomach squeeze.

"Let me ask you a question," he asked with a smile. "Are you still anxious?" "About my Trial? No," I said as a single claw grazed down my arm. I swallowed as the heat felt like my body was burning from the inside out. "Good. You don't need to be nervous. Your cousin deserves what's coming to him. Ironclaw doesn't appear to train weak wolves," he said. I gave him a raised brow, wondering where he was going with this. "My brother and I have been watching your pack wolves fight. None of them have anything to be ashamed about," he said truthfully.

"My father's betas were supposed to report to me," I said realizing I hadn't heard about most of my pack yet. I shook my head in disappointment, the first tears of frustration fell on my lap. What Alpha lost track of their pack? "Calm down. You have enough to worry about, don't let that be your downfall in your last trial. Defending your pack should be a top priority. Here," Terrance said as he handed me a packet of the Trial's information. Where his thumbs grazed my cheeks felt hot as he wiped my tears away. Cockiness radiated from his pores and I rolled my eyes at his show.

Inside, there were names circled of my wolves and who they were going against. "My brother and your pack members have been keeping track. We asked them to help you with this. None of us want to see you fall because you were trying to be in twenty places at once. You're busy securing your pack, they're fighting to show pack strength," Terrance said as I looked through the packet. "Thank you," I said as I looked at everyone's work. All my males have won and most of my females as well. "Even though some of your females won, several decided to go to their mate's pack anyway. As it should be," he said and he flipped to the back page with handwritten notes from various wolves. I nodded in understanding not in affirmation. Females go to their mate's pack.