Chapter 04

I was surprised the news about Rafael's marking hadn't gotten around. The other girls in our group had not heard anything except for Jessica's outburst during the Mate Hunt. I was told by one of my father's betas that the Alphas of North Shore and Snow Beach couldn't find them. As the hours ticked by, I awaited her return in our room. I had told my father what happened as soon as I ran back. He said he would handle it as it was a delicate matter concerning pups from alpha lines. He made no promises as Jessica was not from our pack and he had little influence over how other alphas ran their territories. I understood but I still hope Jessica wouldn't be in too much trouble. I had taken a long shower to process what I had witnessed and after being interviewed by one of the councilmen about the incident.

I agreed Rafael should have been knocked down a few pegs for his rudeness but what Jessica did was absolutely ruthless, feral. Her instincts as a wolf had completely consumed her when she staked her claim on Rafael. In the distance I heard someone stomping down the hallway. I rolled on my side, on the bed. I wasn't in the mood to talk about what happened again.

If Terrance won the trial, would he take me in the same manner? Would I take him with such brutal force? I couldn't help shivering at the thought. The sound of Rafael's shoulder being torn apart by Jessica's wolf resounded in my brain. The pure need to dominate anyone who was weaker than you thrived in every alpha wolf, not just Jessica. From what my mother said, the claiming should be done gently, lovingly, and without witnesses. What I saw, that was animalistic lust and brutality. I did not want that for my mate, or for me. My wolf growled out that no one would ever be above her in that manner. I was still reflected when the door was opened with such force the sound of it hitting the wall echoed through the hallway.

The Alpha of North Shore enter the room. His eyes glowed the same glacier blue Jessica had when she saw Rafael naked in the woods. Golden hair that his children inherited from their father was cut close to his scalp as he sniffed around. Alpha Pratt snarled as he made eye contact with me, stomping towards Jessica's bed. His body was hardened as he stood taller than he was. He hastily grabbed the sheets and tore them down. My wolf was on edge. Our need to have our personal space respected and to bow down to a wolf that currently outranked had us hesitate on what to do.

Alpha Pratt threw the mattress down as he growled, the bed shook with the force. He glared at me again. I barely had time to register anything before he grabbed my arm and hauled me from my bed. "Where is she you little brat," he yelled in my face. "I don't know Alpha Pratt," I said as I tugged on my arm, angered at him for not using my title. He had no right to hold me in such a manner. I was not his pup. I was not his heir. I was not of his pack. I was the Heir of Ironclaw and the pup of another Alpha. My wolf thought our father was a greater Alpha.

"Let go of me, right now," I demanded as I tugged on my arm again. "Tell me where my ungrateful female is," he demanded as he threw me to the floor. He stood over me, as if he was my alpha. I felt his power attempt to wrap around me. I growled at him in warning and I pushed it away. "I don't know where Jessica is," I said truthfully, picking myself up from the ground.

"Tell me," he yelled, and he slapped me across the face, taking me by surprise. I was not prepared for the punch to my other cheek as I was sent to the ground again. My world spun as blood dripped from my nose. "You filthy females have been putting ideas in her head. Females have no business in high positions. Females have no business running a pack," he declared as he went to kick me. I dodged before swinging my legs and knocked him to the ground. "You've drawn first blood. On an Heir no less. You need to leave," I demanded finally pulling myself into a standing position, holding my nose. I knew my green eyes would be glowing as my wolf pushed through. She was not happy; he had touched her human vessel. As he stood up, I took note of his size. He was smaller than just about every Alpha I have met. Even I was taller than him. I couldn't help but flash my teeth at him in a show of hostility.

His fist hit my side as my knee went into his stomach. Quick movements on my part allowed me to punch him twice in the face before he threw me into the beds. My head hit the railing of a top bunk before I scrambled underneath. I looked at the door that seemed too far away and tried to analyze the best mode of defense without going for his throat. The frame clattered on the floor with a sound that hurt my ears. Wood scattered around the room in splinters.

I lunged and my nails scratched at his face, tearing the skin open like butter. Even if he killed me, everyone would know that the female Heir of Ironclaw put up a good fight against an Alpha male. My heart swelled in pride before he slammed me against the fragments of wood and metal. Wood splinters entered my skin as I felt something stab into my side. I kicked him in his thigh and scrambled away. "Back off," I yelled, pushing my energy towards him. Alpha Pratt hesitated, and his movements slowed before I kicked him in the face. He growled and threw a punch into my shoulder. I threw one and struck him in the jaw.

Alpha Pratt was not going to back down as another punch to my face knocked me to the ground again. Damnit! His body was heavy on me as whatever was in my side was pushed into me more. Some metal shrapnel from the bed? I didn't know. All I knew was that it hurt like hell. "Get off of me," I yelled as I snapped my teeth at him. My wolf growled through me with each click of teeth.

My nails swiped at his face and hit his neck before both wrists were captured in his hands. "How about I teach you where your place is," he growled, and he rubbed his face against my neck. Fear went through my wolf as she realized a vulnerability we had. We were unmarked. We were unclaimed. Vulnerable.

The alpha in me wanted to keep fighting and never submit but another part wanted to keep that area clean for our mate. A punch to my head had everything spin as I tried to push him away with my now free hand. His teeth snapped too close to my neck. Tears brimmed my eyes as I tried to force my body to submit. Alphas don't submit! They win or they die. My body refused to give up my neck. My pack would be without an heir if he killed me. My pack needed me to live. I will live.

Adrenaline coursed through my veins as I found an opening and bit into the soft center of his jaw. My vision was blurring by I held one and shook my head in an attempt to open him up. Skin tore as he pulled away and I refused to loosen my grip. He roared and tried to shake me off him. I refused to let go His bands released my wrists as they pushed on my face and scrambled to find a pressure point to release my jaws. I could feel flesh tearing from bone as I growled and scratched deep into his chest.

A large body tackled Alpha Pratt from my grasp ashis head hit the ground, hard. I spat out the flesh in my mouth and onto thecarpet. My wolves spilled into the room and surrounded me in a protectivecircle. The larger wolves held Alpha Pratt down. I looked at my side and saw a largesplinter of wood. I could hear a few wolves whine at the sight of the wood. Allmy energy left my body as Alpha Pratt went limp in the hold of my pack. I saw asandy colored wolf enter my vision as I turned away from him. The dull bondpulsed as Luca rolled me over. His golden eyes stared at me and I felt myvision darken. Everything was heavy now. Luca's snout sniffed me and growled indisapproval as he licked at the wounds on my side. I felt the wiggling of thebond as I couldn't hold back a shiver. "Luca. No," I said, trying topush him away. A growl came from the wolf as he continued to check mywounds over. He barked at someone in the doorway and I heard scampering feet,distant yelling about an attack. In the distance, the roar of an Alpha was thelast thing I heard before closing my eyes.