Chapter 06

"Have the males compete in the Western Trials for control of Canyon Creek," my father was clarifying the ruling between our packs. We were sitting in a small conference room most of us were in business attire for the meeting. A representative from both the eastern and western regions sat with us as we started our discussion. Both of them were in casual attire and had to be in their later years.

They were the keepers of our rules and regulations regarding business that involved more than one pack. We had scheduled a meeting with them to discuss which wolf would go where. A common necessity after the Mate Hunt, especially if the pair in question were of similar rank and, in some cases, the same sex. Both wolves glanced at the paperwork they had been issued again.

"Why not have the Ironclaw female compete for her title," Alpha Matthews questioned before Luca could speak out of turn. "She is already competing against four males tomorrow. We need a fair fight to have fair judgement on where each wolf ranks. You have territory without an heir, it makes sense," the eastern wolf said. A soft rumble filled the room from Luca and Terrance. "Which wolves have issued challenge," Terrance demanded, turning to me. The bond tightened its hold, the sound of his voice rang around my brain. The bond was strengthening with every moment I spent with them in the room. My wolf assessed this wolf that was taking a protective stance toward us. She was impressed.

"A second born from a neighboring pack, two cousins, and a beta born from across the sea," I said casually as they hung onto every word I said. They would be difficult fights but I knew I could win, it would not be easy but as long as I kept my head out of my butt I would be fine.

"We'll take the challenges," Luca stated. "Until you have rank, you will not fight for what isn't yours," I growled out, both males snarled at me. These were challenges issued to me, I will be the one to honor them. "Heir Ironclaw is right, these are her challenges to honor," the western wolf said with a smile to me. My father rubbed my back to soothe my wolf as she glared at her prospective males. Neither wolf was pleased at the venom she gave them. I rumbled in my chest as I looked into their hazel eyes that met my own.

"The eastern representative is in agreement with me. Heir Iris Ironclaw has a higher rank. Our rules are clear when it comes to Alpha and Heir mates. Canyon Creek has not declared an Heir, Ironclaw has. Alpha Matthews will need to release one of his males to Ironclaw," said our western councilman. A reluctant nod came from the eastern wolf. "I don't like it but it is the law," he said. The western wolf typed away at his laptop as the eastern wolf read over his shoulder, the two seemed to be in sync. "Terrance has two "r's" in his name," he whispered as the western wolf nodded, smiling. "Sorry my eyes aren't what they used to be," he said with a chuckle. "If I recall our youth correctly, weren't much to begin with," the eastern wolf mocked as they laughed before getting serious again.

"The males will have a Trial on who will become the official heir of Canyon Creek. Although, I think we all know what will happen," the eastern wolf said, looking at Terrance expectantly. Luca huffed but otherwise ignored the aging wolf. "The lesser wolf will go to Ironclaw. The winner goes back to Canyon Creek," the western wolf finished as the eastern wolf agreed. Alpha Matthews did not look happy but nodded in agreement to the ruling.

"Excuse me, what if the winner wants the rank of Heir of Ironclaw," Terrance questioned, with a glare in my direction. Luca snapped his teeth at his brother, his wolf not liking Terrance eyeing me. "Fine. The winner decides where they go," the western wolf said and looked around the room. No one spoke against the ruling. His fingers were typing quickly across the board. "First, you'll have to be the one to go to Ironclaw. Secondly, you will have to beat Heir Iris Ironclaw during your period on Ironclaw pack lands," the eastern wolf finished. "Make sure you do so honorably," his father warned, looking to my father. "If you dishonor my offspring, I'll be sure to send you back to your pack only a fraction of the wolf you once were," my father growled at Terrance, staring him down. Terrance looked away first. "I won't hold that against you, Ironclaw," Alpha Matthews said as he ran his hands over the hair of his offspring who grumbled at being treated like a pup. I couldn't help the giggle from my mouth. Both males acted like they were given a treat as they looked in my direction. The older wolves laughed at their reaction.