Sneak Peak to One True Luna

(Note: This sneak peak may be edited as the story is being written) 

Rafael Marchand looked out into the distance from the balcony of the Alpha's office. His father was busy typing up some new documents on the computer. Rafael was taking a break, it was getting closer to his Ascension to Alpha ceremony. He was nervous and he was lacking a Luna.

It had been months since Jessica had run away from the Blue Moon Festival. He had written to Iris, Tara, and other nearby Alphas; he just wanted to be sure she was okay. None of them claimed to have seen her but would inform him if they received word that she was safe.

As the time between Jessica marking him increased, his mark was beginning to fade. The scars had healed over long ago. Wolves could not just claim another wolf, they had to claim each other. They had to stay near to each other for the mark to stick on one. It was why Iris's mark on Terrance was still strong despite her uncertainty of allowing him to make his mark. She had written to him a couple times but he understood that she was busy. Both of them would be ascending into their alpha roles soon.

In a way, he envied her but he was glad he was not her mate. He would not have been able to give up his throne. Terrance had been quite livid at having to give up his right to an Alpha position. He had seen the wolf not long after Iris marked him. His wolf's teeth snapping at the air, his scent changing to mingle with Iris's.

Rafael suspected that it was because it was Iris's scent that was coming out stronger. He was hardly surprised; a wolf of her strength was going to have a strong scent marker. The Ironclaw heir was a strong leader with a good heart. There was a reason the Ironclaw females remained loyal to their homeland's heir even when they left. He had a few in his pack after the Blue Moon festival that spoke highly of their former heir. They were not afraid to show teeth to the males that spoke ill of their former Alpha's pup. One had even beaten her Snow Beach mate in the Trials but had decided not to bring him to Ironclaw.

Rafael took another breath and went back inside. His father looked up from his computer but didn't say anything. There was nothing he could say that would make his son feel better about the situation. "Are there any eligible females within our pack," Rafael asked quietly. Normally, Alpha Marchand would not answer his son's question when they weren't spoken with authority. The Snow Beach pack needed a leader that was confident in his words, even when they were questions. Alpha Marchand wouldn't ask him to do that at this moment. Not for this question.

Alpha Marchand could not imagine leaving his mate, taking another wolf instead was not within his nature. It was not within his wolf's nature. Not when they had already met, and their other half stilled breathed. Despite their best efforts, Jessica could not be located.

"Beta Urie has a couple on the list that could be eligible, but we should wait for the mark to finish healing over. Another two weeks should be enough," Alpha Marchand replied with a solemn look. Rafael kept his lip from slipping up. The bond between him and Jessica did not care for having a stand-in by his side. Rafael shook out his hair and did not meet his father's eyes.

He hated being a shame to his pack, a shame to his father, and a shame to himself. He had gone to the Blue Moon Festival with the intent on bringing home his mate and having a beautiful ceremony. He had never thought she would reject him.

While she never formally said the words, her actions were answer enough. She had abandoned Snow Beach; she had abandoned him. Rafael would need to begin looking for another to take her place. He was sure she would not have a problem doing the same. The line must continue.