Chapter 28

"My Heir, the Wicker family welcomed a new female last night. She is healthy but they have chosen not the name the pup until your visit," Phillip said as we took our morning walk around along one of the trails. My father was beginning his decline as Alpha and giving me more leadership roles within the pack. I smiled at the news of a new pack member, "I will visit them now." He ran his hand through his golden hair as he made a note. "We should have time for a quick visit before I have to go to training," Phillip said with a smile. Sarah would be there, helping her mother, and I repressed my jealousy.

It had been two months since I sent Terrance back to Canyon Creek. While a little early, it would be for the best. At least, that's what I told myself. His father, brother, and a few of their wolves had come to retrieve him, early in the morning after we called them. Even without the mark, I felt nothing for Luca. I was mildly relieved. Terrance had bolted the moment he saw his family arrive and we had to send a couple trackers and my father after him. He was sedated and they had left before sunset. My wolf couldn't help but howl mournfully as he left. The pack joined me, including my mother and father.

The small cottage of the Wicker family was warm like most of the other wolves. I knocked on the door softly, if the pup was sleeping I didn't want to wake her. The soft steps of a male could heard as he carefully opened the door. He looked tired but jovial at our arrival. "My Heir, prospective Beta, I am so honored to welcome you to our home," David Wicker said. David Wicker had been faithful to my father but was never afraid to speak his mind. An excellent Beta that was willing to follow me after my father stepped down. "Many of the wolves your age are not ready for the responsibility. I told your father just because you could lead, doesn't mean you should. You're young," he had said to me while we were in my father's office going over some paperwork. My father gave him a rare hard glare in his direction at his comment.

The pup was beautiful and would be a wonderful addition to our pack. I could feal her strength when I held her. Her brothers would do well to take care of her and help in her training. While neither had gone through the Winter Trials yet, siblings could be a great advantage in learning the skills that were most important to master. Spring was fast approaching, and it would not be long until they would need to pick up the wolves that had survived their trials.

"Have the hunting parties returned yet? Preparations for the Naming Ceremony will need to be made before spring," I asked Philip. "No, they are scheduled to return soon. They requested additional wolves to help carry their catch. I should be off to training then," Phillip said and bowed his head to me. "Thank you, I'll be in my office then," I said with a small smile.

Preston stood up from the chair he was sitting in when I walked into my office. We stared at each other for a moment before I closed the door behind us. "What have you come here for," I asked, keeping my hand on the door. "The future of Bronze Fur," he replied, keeping his tone even and quiet. I turned the lock on the door to keep us from being disturbed.

"I wanted ta give ya time afta Terrance left," he began. "I had hoped he woulda come around. Accepted you. You're a wonderful wolf, Iris," Preston said. My wolf looked at him in admiration. Her eyes had been wondering to unmated wolves, but they did not compare to Terrance. Unfortunately for wolves, that was high priority when it came to mates. It was why Crestwood's wolf was able to walk away from an infertile mate when the human side promised a stronger fertile female.

"Don't give me tha look, Iris. You are a wolf worth fighting for and a wolf worth being treasured," Preston said. "I just wish he could have been the wolf that stood by my side," I murmured. "You deserve a strong mate that respects you," he continued, taking my hand in his. It was warm, the skin was rough from the work he did around his pack, he was a strong wolf that took care of his pack. He tugged gently, asking me to come closer. It reminded me of our first kiss. Our parents were talking downstairs as we tried to listen to the conversation.