Chapter 11

I glanced at the clock in my room. The plate on the ground had been licked clean of every morsel. My body needed the food to heal, my muscles were still screaming even as I stood still. Sarah had piled it high with meat and fruit, my stomach growling at the memory. I want more food. Sarah should have been here by now.

Once my Trials were announced, I was told my father's wolf took over. Snapping his jaws and clawing at the walls, he howled the loudest of all the Alphas. The guards were terrified he would break free of his cage before I could finish my Trials. The great beast was attempting to get to his pup who could be vulnerable. A pup that was likely fighting for her life. It didn't matter how well I trained; I was his only offspring. His legacy. His Heir. Even when he was told I won the first two, his wolf never calmed down.

The thought of not knowing was hard on most of the Alphas. Once I had been scrubbed clean by my fellow she-wolves and Myra, I went to release him. The monstrous grey and brown wolf had swept me up in his jaws like a four-year-old pup. My cheeks flushed crimson as everyone stared at the female who fought with such savagery being carried like a pup in her father's jaws. Whispered words and lighthearted snickers were ignored by my father's wolf as he trotted to my room. I watched as his tail wagged back and forth with the knowledge his pup was safe in his care.

I'd been ordered to stay in my now empty room. Nothing remained of the other girls' belongings and there is barely a trace of their scent left. Many had left to be with their new mates in the woods or spent the night with siblings to say goodbye. We would be leaving after the closing ceremony and go back to Ironclaw. The ones that would be leaving had already hugged me goodbye. A soft knock on the door told me more food had arrived.

"Come in Sarah," I called out as I went to the door, my stomach was about to eat itself. I stopped short as the door opened to reveal golden eyes, honey colored curls, and tanned skin. He was pulling a small cart with plates of food and a small bag. "I told Sarah I would give you the food," Terrance said quietly. His voice was raspy and I couldn't help but see the claws marks going from his neck that weren't hidden by his clothes.

His face was bruised and scratched, his right cheek was swollen, and his lip was cut on the side. He smiled tiredly at me as he looked into my eyes. I could see and smell the silver around his neck. The thin collar was locked around his throat that would prevent a shift. I looked at it, questioning it. "My father does not want me to forget my place," he quickly explained, pointing at the strap of silver chain and leather. It likely weakened him considerably, taking his strength, and prevented his healing.

"I take it you won your place as Luna," I said in a teasing tone. He frowned at me. "I won't bow down to you. I was meant to be first born. Winning my place doesn't change that," Terrance said sternly. I rolled my eyes but let him enter my room. We sat against the wall and he placed the plate in my lap.

He opened his bag and pulled out a large thermos that was full enough to barely make a sound and two cups. "A healer from an allied pack gave me this for us, it should help us heal," Terrance said as he handed me a cup. He carefully poured the glittery dark liquid for both of us. It reminded me of a full moon sky with the way the dark blues and purples swirled and shimmered. I drank the liquid greedily; it was sweet like a white wine with a crisp tart finish. Terrance poured me another glass.

Terrance asked me about myself and my pack. He made sure to keep a hand wrapped around my fingers, allowing the bond to fill me with warmth. I shivered as the bond sent waves of pleasure through me at the nearness of Ironclaw's future Luna. I told him about my favorite places on the territory. He listened intently without interrupting me.

I told him about my father's high-ranking wolves and the wolves I hoped would fill their positions once I became Alpha. He stayed quiet through my tales as he occasionally fed me from the plate he brought. I would do the same as his body shivered at the care the female beside him gave him. Terrance would brush his lips lightly on my cheek when I fed him before whispering compliments in my ear.