Chapter 25

The clearing was freezing cold. Neutral territory surrounded us as a few of our warriors and my father waited with me. Three betas with their mates had their silver knives prepared for any loyal wolves that went after me once Crestwood was beaten. Preston and his father were on our left and two other bordering pack leaders were on our right, no warriors. This wasn't their fight, they were here to witness. We had talked to them about the division of land if I won. This not only bought me insurance that they wouldn't challenge me, it would also bring more witnesses. More wolves to spread the word of Ironclaw's female heir.

I could feel Terrance's worry in the back of my mind. My wolf occasionally opening up her mind to him as he concentrated on the bond. He had stayed behind with my mother. If things went bad, he would be in charge of evacuating the pups and mothers-to-be. My wolf was stoically quiet as we prepared for our first alpha confrontation. She wanted to make her pack proud and send a message to other Alphas that we were not to be taken lightly simply because we were female. Just because I was confident did not mean I would risk the lives of my wolves. My pack would always come before my pride.

Unlike Pratt, this was for land, wolves, and hierarchy within the region. This wasn't about finding a runaway female, this was likely life or death. Alpha Crestwood would likely try to kill me, or mark me. The thought made my stomach twist in ways Terrance had never made me feel. No matter how mad or disgusted Terrance felt about our bond, it didn't compare to the thought of a lesser male claiming me. Bile flooded my mouth at the thought, which I spat out thinking back to last night. Terrance may no long be my luna-to-be in my mind but he still wore my mark. His wolf still called for mine. I remembered our talk earlier today.

Terrance had entered my room in the middle of the night, he had been talking to the other wolves long after I had gone to bed. His emotions were so high that I awoke before he even touched me. My wolf on edge with her fur raised as the nervous energy seemed to soak everything in the room. A rumor from a Beta's distant cousin from Crestwood was that the alpha had rejected his mate. A nomadic wolf that was infertile he met during Eastern region's festival. He had let an older male take her instead of bringing back something that couldn't carry an heir. Coward, my wolf grumbled out.

"You need to be careful," he whispered to me. "I can beat him, how many times do I have to say it," I whispered harshly, we had gone back and forth on this matter for too long. We were alone so I had allowed all my emotions to play in front of him, I needed him to believe I could win. I needed him to know that his doubt was pulling me back, distracting me. A deep breath from the male I had been having second thoughts about. "I know," he said which surprised me that I waited for the punchline to his sarcasm. "I know but...That doesn't mean he won't try to open a bond with you," he said as his canines descended before he pulled them back. His wolf furious at the thought, my own not thrilled with the idea either. Compared to Crestwood, Terrance was perfect. A small growl escaped his throat, his muzzle starting to form. I grabbed his chin to face me. "I won't let that happen. He can't replace you," I said sternly as my wolf pushed my thoughts towards him. If he ever marked me, it would be easy to show him my thoughts and feelings on this battle, on him. His golden eyes met mine, I could feel his eyes travel to my neck. My legs tightened their muscles and I swallowed. I could barely keep standing as his eyes burned into my shoulder. Terrance was in control as his lips brushed against me. His arms held me close, not dominating...comforting? I wasn't sure and I was too enthralled to think about it. He told me everything he had learned about Alpha Crestwood. He had asked every single wolf who could have any remaining relatives in Crestwood about the alpha. He wanted me to be prepared. He asked to stay with me tonight. My mother had already told him his duties while I went to battle. He wanted my scent on my skin to keep his wolf calm enough to do what needed to be done. The heat from his body was comforting as I slept even deeper.