Nightmares

While they had been talking Phantom started tossing and turning as he slept in the medical wing. He was starting to have a nightmare, it was just like every night really, he'd fall asleep for ten or fifteen minutes before he started having a nightmare. They weren't the exact same nightmares but they all had something to do with his horrible past.

This had happened around the time that he had first been caught, the first time he saw his parents in the lab. He got dissected a lot and today was one of those days, he was strapped to the table and he was waiting for the tests to start. He didn't react when someone walked in, then he heard their voices, "Well if it isn't the ghost scum."

He knew that voice, that was the voice of his mother, he didn't even call her his mother anymore. His eyes widened and he looked at her, his father was right behind her and they both had an evil glint in their eyes. Phantom tried to struggle but he couldn't move, the restraints were too tight and didn't he was to weak to do anything.

Maddie grabbed a scalpel and Jack waited for Maddie to make the first cut and Phantom was scared. He did everything he could not to scream but it hurt to much, the pain was blinding and it was hard to breath. After he had been dissected they used acid, other knives, tools that he had never seen before, and even a hammer.

The hammer had been used to break his bones, his arm, his leg, and his ribs were just a few. When the tests were finally done and he was taken to his 'room' he curled up in the corner. His room was really just a cell, he didn't have a bed so he slept on the floor and he didn't even have a blanket.

There was blood everywhere in the room, his blood was on the floor, the walls, and even the ceiling. There weren't any other ghosts here, this place was made just for him, just so they could experiment on him. When he found out he had smirked, "A whole building just for me, I feel so special!"

Of course he had to be sarcastic, that had earned him a few extra hours of torture that week. He was only fed once every week or so, he got water whenever he was fed and he was always weak. It was their way of making sure he didn't have the energy to escape and the nightmares made it so he never slept well.

That day was probably one of the worst for him, that was the day he started hating his parents. The next day was sort of a blur, he head lost his voice so he couldn't even scream because of the pain. He finally woke up when his father had stabbed his eye, his hands shot up to cover his mouth so he wouldn't scream.

He had just gotten his voice back and he didn't want to lose it again, it had taken weeks for him to fully regain his voice. He took deep breaths and tried to calm himself down, after more than ten minutes he finally calmed down. Once he finally stopped trembling he remembered those damn 'heroes' and he looked around the room.

He didn't see anyone and he wondered where they were, had they actually left him alone while he slept? Probably not, they didn't seem to understand the words 'leave me alone,' no matter how many times he said them. He sighed and swung his legs over the side of the bed and stood up, his leg still hurt but he ignored it.

His leg had been broken some time before he escaped but now it was just a fracture. Walking around on a fractured leg wasn't a good idea but he had walked around on a broken leg before. He was used to pain, it was a part of his everyday life now, walking around like this was fine with him.

Phantom silently walked to where he could hear voices, his enhanced hearing made it so they were easy to find. He stayed in the shadows and his glow wasn't a problem, he could suppress it and even if he couldn't it was already really dim. He could hear Superman speak, "I think we should bring in a few more League members."

Aqualad had his arms crossed, "He might be more comfortable talking to some of the other League members." Phantom could hear Robin shift, they both knew he wasn't willing to talk to anyone but Robin didn't say anything. As they were talking Phantom unconsciously held his ribs, they were broken but they weren't nearly as painful as some of his other injuries.

Phantom ended up getting bored and he went back to the medical wings and stared at the ceiling. His mind wandered to the other ghosts, some of his enemies had befriended him before he was captured. Ember, Johnny, Kitty, Shadow, Youngblood, Alter, Desiree, Fright Knight, Ghost Writer, Box Ghost, and Lunch Lady were all his friends now.

He wondered how they were doing, did they know what he was alive or did they think he was dead? He had learned how to use a few more powers without letting the GIW know about it. He had used one or two to escape the facility but he was so tired that all he could do was fight the agents once he was outside the building.

He shook his head to get rid of those thoughts, he didn't want to think about that, he tried thinking of something else. He looked at the blankets he had kicked off of himself when he first got here, he didn't like them. He wasn't used to them so he had gotten uncomfortable and kicked them to the foot of the bed.

He wasn't used to sleeping in a bed either, it was just as weird as having a blanket and he got up again. He walked to the corner farthest away from the door and sat down there, this was better. This was what he was used to, curling up in a corner as far away from the door as possible.

This room was actually bigger then his cell had been, he didn't like it at all, he wasn't claustrophobic so being in a small room didn't bother him. He was so used to it now that he actually prefered it at this point, that was the one place the agents and scientists hadn't hurt him. It was only now occurring to him that his thoughts were really depressing, well it made sense.

Phantom was starting to get bored, he was starting to wonder what he could do to pass the time. Just when he was starting to go over his limited options the door opened and the teenagers walked into the room. They saw Phantom sitting in the corner and he got irritated, if they asked questions he'd get pissed.

They all gave him strange looks and Superboy crossed his arms, "Why are you sitting in the corner?"

Phantom growled in that terrifying way that only a ghost could, "Why are you in here?" Superboy backed down when Phantom growled and everyone was a bit impressed by that.

KF looked at the ghost, "Will you come to the living room?"

Phantom glared at him and got up before following them to the living room with an irritated expression on his face. The teens were careful not to get to close to him, Phantom saw that they had finally learned to stay away from him. When they finally got to the living room everyone sat down and they left a chair for Phantom.

Aqualad looked at Phantom, "Would you like to sit?"

Phantom shifted his weight to his left leg, he made sure he didn't let on that he was injured. "I'll stand." No one wanted to try and make the ghost sit so they left him alone and Phantom was a little glad for that.

Batman looked straight at Phantom, "Why did you have a panic attack before?"

Phantom sighed, "You don't want to know." Phantom wasn't mad, he was to tired to be mad anymore, he just wanted to leave this damn place. The exhaustion was heavy in Phantom's voice but they could also see it in his eyes, he was just so tired.

Black Canary looked at him sadly, "I understand that you don't want to talk about it but we need to know."

Phantom glared at her, "You don't need to know, it's my problem and the living don't even care about ghosts so don't act like you do." Phantom was getting real tired of these people acting like they cared about what happened to him. The whole world had made it clear that the living hated ghosts, that's why ghosts take care of their own.

Phantom might be half human but because he was friends with so many of them and he had helped him they considered him to be a full ghost. Ghosts don't like the living because they refuse to try and understand them, they just hunt them and use them as science experiments.

Everyone was slightly shocked by what he said and Robin looked straight at Phantom. "Why wouldn't we care?"

Phantom growled but it wasn't at Robin, he actually kind of liked the guy but he wouldn't admit it. "Because ghost hunters will stop at nothing to hunt us down and tear us apart to see what makes us tick. They think we don't have emotions and we don't feel pain so they don't think they're hurting actual people."

Phantom was pissed now, he was remembering what had happened to him, the stories he'd heard about what happened to some of the other ghosts, and all of the insults that people had thrown at him. But no matter what happened to him he couldn't bring himself to actually hate people. He tried to but he was just lying to himself, he was a good liar but he couldn't lie to himself.