Chapter 14- Asleep

I sat there gobsmacked.

I was hit with reality as if wind had been knocked into my face. Have you heard that when babies are opposed against a forceful pressure of wind, they hold their breath?

Well, then you probably understand how I would've looked if you saw me.

He just kept on driving, but this time it was more relaxed. Like he was relieved of something he had been holding in. Why did Dylan never talk about Hunter? I have never heard about his cousin, let alone half of his family. There was probably something else I didn't even know. What if he was Violet's half brother and they lived separated away from each other, now that's just going to far but then I wouldn't be so surprised.

As I was now.

"Dylan never talked about you." I mumble still stumbled at the fact that my ex boyfriend's cousin was driving me home, in his car. But this was doing a good effort at having kept my mind off of Riley.

How?

"He never even told me he had a cousin, you guys don't even look much a like." I was starting to freak out because Hunter. The star of Roseville had a small connection to me, and Dylan.

Through dating?

Then if he was Dylan's cousin, wouldn't his mum be-

She's the one that died from cancer. Why me and Dylan broke up. He said he needed space and that's what I gave him, but he just seemed to drag it on and out of nowhere declares our relationship wasn't working. All the missed phone calls he would have seen displayed on his phone. Do I need to mention the messages?

I tried so hard to keep our relationship together. But it felt like I was doing everything. It was only a relief once after a few months of trying, we just gave up. Just like that.

"We've all had a rough time, especially when-" he starts off with his hands starting to fidget with the steering wheel. He was nervous, and I liked it because he wasn't afraid of me. But I owed him, to trust him. For saving me from Riley.

"When your mother passed away." I say quietly which causes a thick coat silence to trap us again making us try to remember that we weren't enemies at all. But I felt this anger, something I hadn't felt in a while. Since when Dylan wanted to break up with me. If Hunters mum never died, we would've never broken up. He wouldn't have struggled to keep our relationship going, but it happened and he did struggle. He never had let me in when I tried to talk to him about it.

Hunters breath huffs as he slows down, I look outside and notice that we're at my house. The lonely driveway masking it's loneliness with the green glass that was scattered over the yard. If houses were a human, he or she, seemed to be lonely and broken. I could just imagine a little girl frozen in time looking down at all the past struggles that had gone on in her life.

We stop and I glance back over at Hunter. His features are rightly enhanced from the streetlights outside. Just like in the room. When he stepped forwards, his face was perfect, crafted by gods and It was only a plausible explanation that he was crafted by gods because it felt like wind was knocked straight out of your lungs, well, my lungs.

It seemed to have the same effect here from Hunter, but also from Dylan. It must be genetic.

I sit and for a second try to open my mouth, but I cant. Not now. Not when all I can do is think about what he would've went through from the passing of his own mother.

Opening the door, I grasp onto my shoes that dangle from my hands and stand outside a little wobbly from the booze, the wind hitting my bare skin.
It was a relief to feel like I had finally known Hunter for who he was, but I could never be with him. It was just far too true.