01 | midnight

01

M I D N I G H T

         The only sound that could be heard throughout the house was the soccer game that Mia had put on the television

         The only sound that could be heard throughout the house was the soccer game that Mia had put on the television. It was almost finished, way past halftime, and the volume was set very low because strangely enough -- Mia loved the peace and silence of having the house all to herself.

        This happened to be one of those nights within many. The house was so deserted that she could hear the rattle of the trees from outside, the beginning of Fall wind quickening up in a breeze, and even behind the closed windows, it filled the house with a biting chill.

        The lights throughout the house were all almost off, other than the one in the corridor which Mia left on dimmed to a low level. Her home wasn't so large, big enough to fit herself and her parents, but when they were in work -- it felt ten times larger and vacated.

        In the mornings, her dad and Louise were either snoring away or filling the house with a lively aura -- it all depended on the hours of sleep they had. Tomorrow morning, Mia would probably be eating breakfast alone, which was a shame because Louise made the best chocolate chip pancakes (which Mia always failed miserably on). Even so, though she loved both of them, Mia appreciated the nights when they were gone, and having the house to herself.

        She would get cozy in the living room, control the television, and purge on healthy snacks (they're the only ones Louise buys in the house when it's soccer season, or, in this case, track season now). Sometimes, she'd even walk around the house freely naked, which was something she didn't share with most people.

        Her room upstairs didn't have the largest television, so she was seated in the living room on the sofa with a bowl of popcorn she popped herself in her hands. This night, she stayed up really late because the soccer match aired in the U.K. so it was two in the morning and her eyelids were beginning to droop.

        The vibrant colors of blues and greens sprouting from the screen only made her eyes burn more, so she figured closing her eyes for at least a minute should be okay. Falling asleep on the sofa wasn't ideal, but there were only an odd seven minutes left of the game, so she wanted to stick it out -- she didn't stay up so late on a school night to miss the last minutes.

        A yawn seemed to escape past her parted lips when she set the bowl of popcorn aside. "... and he shoots, he scores! ..."

        Mia's eyes shot open at the sound, and it wasn't coming from the television where people were excitedly cheering the football player who had just scored on. In fact, the volume was set on low volume, and the footsteps Mia had heard were real. Mia could pinpoint where the sound was coming from and through what. Had she left the back door open? No, she never forgets.