02 | aftermath

02

A F T E R M A T H

         Mia's eyes opened after an hour or so of sleep

         Mia's eyes opened after an hour or so of sleep. Her eyes felt swollen and her knees bruised from scrubbing the floors and anywhere else where there was blood. She had spent most of the night cleaning brushes and splats of blood from the floors, the bathtub, and even washed the bathmats. The rest of the night she had spent going over the night, unable to forget, whilst twisting and turning to no end.

        What did Beverley do?

        Her room was beginning to fill with light as the night sky turned to puffy clouds of white, and Mia was in a tangled mess with her sheets on the bed, her unruly dark hair sticking to her forehead as beads of sweat traveled down her skin. The tune of her alarm buzzed out of her phone, and she felt drained like she only had a blink of sleep. After the events last night, she was surprised she even slept.

        She dreamt of Beverley in a bathtub filled with dark blood. It was a sight she couldn't remove from her mind even when she tugged the sheets off of her and climbed sorely out of bed, her muscles and bones trying to refuse the pain. After a long while, her alarm on her phone turned off, and she rubbed her eyes roughly as she sat on the edge of the bed. Revealing her eyes, she glanced at her pajamas that were sprawled on the floor before her.

        The still looked wet and worn out from scrubbing the floors, and when she picked her shorts up, she was horrified to see a barely-there print of blood on the smooth blue material. The blood had completely dried, but she was sure that the stain would not come off. The sight of blood made her wide awake as she scurried for a plastic bag she could dump the clothes in, but there was none, so she had to empty a shoebox and hide the set of pajamas there.

        Her heartbeat had quickened and the hot sweat trailing down her skin seemed to multiply. There was a small part of her telling herself to not panic so much, that the blood might have been from an animal or -- God, who was she kidding?

        It definitely belonged to a person. A human.

        What could Beverley have to do with that?

        She had no time to think. She had to get to Beverley's as soon as possible and make her explain, no matter what. The bruises on her knees from cleaning all night had to be for a good reason, even though there was a part of Mia that thought there was no good in the reason whatsoever. But she had to know. She knew she should have called the police, but it was Beverley.

        Her best friend.

        The whole situation was gruesomely sticky and unspeakable, but a part of Mia just wanted to be there for her friend after seeing how deathly she looked last night, so she settled on driving to her house (which was quite the walk away) before school. Beverley left a little later than her in the mornings, but she decided to be there a lot earlier to properly sit down with her and have a conversation consisting of the blood the dripped from her clothes last night.