09 | mirage

09

M I R A G E

The walls were splattered with a bold red

And it wasn't a messy paint job, either, the thick crimson slipping down the beige walls like saliva down a child's mouth at the sight of candy. She would never have thought weed would have such a strong effect on her, but given the circumstances, and how much she smoked, it didn't surprise her she was hallucinating.

That's what it was, right? A hallucination? The blood on the walls, and floors making everything feel slippery. The distortion of people's features and the slurring of their words, making Mia feel like she was separated from the actual world. And, worst of all, Bev.

She could see her everywhere. Cold eyes and raw skin, soaked in blood and limbs tangled in the bathtub. It wasn't real. But it felt real. And Mia was beginning to wonder if the joint was really just pure weed.

It started precisely when the owls began to hoot, and the stars began to bleed glitter, her somewhat memorable (and highly misfortunate) night. No one had shown up yet. The girls had declined weed, and agreed on whiskey instead, whereas Mia couldn't resist the exhilarating numbness the narcotics had to offer.

So she agreed on a second joint, nestled in one hand, whilst the other was occupied with a thick and caramel chocolate bar. She puffed clouds of thick smoke, breathing in the strange smell, and sniggered when Saida fell off of her position of dancing on the leather sofa; landing in a heap on the floor with a booming laugh.

They moved from Kiki's pretty room to the cozy living room, where they unloaded their snacks and alcoholic beverages. Mia was astounded to see just how many ziplock baggies of weed Kiki had, considering it must have cost a fortune to score at least three, but didn't ask questions; pleased to have hoarded the goodies all to herself.

It was then when Saida fell and Mia laughed, that Beverley grabbed her shoulders, a stern look on her face. "Oh, God, you're completely fucked," she concluded, her tone scolding.

Mia was in too much of a good mood to listen to her, rolling her charcoal eyes and standing from her position on the floor. "You're not my mom reincarnated, are you?" Mia snapped.

A frown began to form on Bev's lips. "Mia, I'm only looking out for you."

But Mia didn't get a chance to reply because Kiki had pounced on her with an outstretched grin on her face. "Can the both of you," she paused, pointedly looking at Bev. "Stop being so boring and have fun."