03 | limbo

03

L I M B O

        It hurt

        It hurt.

        All Mia remembered was that it hurt. Waking up in the nurses' office with her head feeling like it was being stepped on and her best friend nowhere in sight hurt. Mia dismissed those feelings, knowing Bev couldn't pass on class, but the pain was a lot trickier to forgive. The nurses' office was useless. They told her she passed out and that she should drink some water and eat.

        Mia was relieved when they said she could go, but that feeling was easily erased when she sat up and her head began to feel like she was spinning into another dimension. The school's nurse Inna handed her a bottle of lukewarm water, to which she sipped on before clasping the lid shut on it, and let out a pained groan.

        "Oh, Miss Khafari, you'll be fine!" Inna rolled her eyes in annoyance, impatient with Mia's slow movements to leave.

        "Yeah, you're right. I only hit my head on the ground," Mia remarked, glowering at her. "Maybe you should just give me a band-aid, that always helps."

        Being a bitch was almost inhabited in Mia's nature, but mostly depending on the person. Everything that's happened in the past short eight hours made Mia feel insanely grumpy and in need of good sleep, and shouting at the school's nurse made her feel a tad guilty and insanely childish.

        With a lame apology shot at Inna for the sharp tone, Mia her backpack over her shoulder and stood on what felt like bruised feet. Her whole body felt like it had been stripped bare and ground like a pig's in a meat factory, having been so torn from sleep deprivation and the terror of having to face a whole school day.

        The clock read ten a.m. which meant she hadn't been passed out for half a day, which would be slightly fortunate because at least then she wouldn't have to be forced into a day of taking notes and facing her peers. Not like going home and sleeping was inviting, she was frightened Bev would only haunt her dreams.

        Beverley.

        All Mia could be remembering before her vision turned to a fog of midnight black was the perplexion in Beverley's brown irises. She had never looked at Mia in such a worrisome, fearful way, and Mia could not pinpoint what the hell was going on -- especially with the pain she was getting from her bruised head. A thing about Mia she was sure about: she does not have such vivid dreams, and that nightmare from last night happened, she had a set of bloodied pajamas to prove it.

        She was not losing her mind. Beverley was pretending in front of people, for sure. Later, she'd tell her everything, there was no way she'd keep Mia in the dark. Mia thought about maybe giving her her own space, and maybe then, she'd likely be more comfortable to speak about it. Whatever it is. But Mia can no longer stand not knowing, her nerves were getting the best of her, and she thought of ditching school and going back home.