13 | candor

13

C A N D O R

        Mia reached school at dawn

       Once she got up at five thirty in the morning, her eyelids couldn't quite rest, blinking the darkness away and the shadows that camouflaged in it. She had given up trying to lull herself back to sleep, and got ready for school, slipping into a pair of gray jeans and allowing her bundle of curls to bounce over her shoulders.

        She wore a smile on her face whenever she saw somebody in the school's carpark, and in the hallways, pretending that her life hasn't formed into one giant mess and everything was perfectly fine - as it should be, as Mia Khafari's life always was, a photograph of soccer games and social gatherings. If Mia broke, everyone would know.

        So she smiled, and smiled, and smiled until she stopped in front of the doors that led to the school's swimming pool. She knew he was there - Matias - she knew from the sound of music pulsating through the chlorine-filled room, guitar chords and the beating of drums enhancing his presence. Swallowing, Mia noticed the door was unlocked and she opened it wide enough so she can pass through it, the sound of her sneakers against the ground confirming her appearance.

        Mia expected to see him in the pool, gliding against water and remaining oblivious to the outside world. She hadn't expected to see him standing with a towel wrapped around his swimming trunks, running a hand through his darkened locks of hair, and his chest bare for the world to see.

        Her response is immediate.

        "Seriously? Do you own a fucking shirt?"

        Rolling his eyes, Matias said, "You're the one that thinks you can just come in whenever you want. Do you think I swim in sweats or something?"

       Keeping her eyes trained on his, she frowned. "I came here to talk."

       Matias raised an eyebrow. "Can you let me change first? I'm starting to feel sexually harassed."

       Scoffing, her arms reflexively crossed over her chest in defense. "Yeah, right. Don't flatter yourself, Reyes," remarked Mia, but began to move, turning her back toward him and into the hallway again.

       She doesn't wait long, possibly ten minutes, and during that time more students began to pile in; waving their fingers at her in greeting, sending her hesitant smiles, shooting bemused glances her way upon noticing she was waiting for somebody. It didn't make sense that she'd wait for Matias Reyes. They're water and oil. They just don't mix well.