33 | ecstasy

33

E C S T A C Y

        "So, we're at the gym right," Trent continued with his story, pouring himself another shot of tequila in his red cup

        "So, we're at the gym right," Trent continued with his story, pouring himself another shot of tequila in his red cup. Mia watched nonchalantly, her own still percectly filled to the top. It was a mixture made by a cheerleader called Jenny Ferne. They had never conversed much, but Trent told her she was the person to go to for one of those 'girly drinks'.  The drink was simple; a dash of Malibu and some pineapple juice. It was way too sugary for her liking, definitely not something she'd usually go for, but she didn't want to let her guard down and get too drunk. She knew better than that.

        After a big gulp of his own drink, and a wince later, Trent elaborated, "And this dude who's bigger than the damn Earth starts to bench some weights. I'm telling you now, one push, and that's all it took for this one guy to lose all of his strength. The iron fell onto his chest and I swear I never saw a person turn purple so quick in my life. Of course, I helped him," he shrugged like it was no big deal. "But I mean ... this guy was so big, and he couldn't even lift 30 kg!"

        He looked at Mia like he had expected her to laugh but it wasn't in her to even force one out. A tight smile was on her lips as she raised her eyebrows, nodding her head as if that were a funny story, before taking a sip of her drink. Not much, just a little for the taste to coat her lips. "That's hilarious," she monotoned, and a part of her wanted to cringe because she wasn't exactly doing her best at seeming interested, not like how she was supposed to. But there was just so much you could fake in one day and all Mia wanted was to be at home.

         But here she was, at Trent's grand home. His house was definitely more suitable for a party; it had so much space that could be compared to a small little venue. Everything about his house was so much better than Toby's. Then again, Trent had a lot more privildges than him. He was born into a rich family; they were basically the poster family for white privilidge, too. They had everything and then some. Toby was a Hispanic boy from the projects with only his mom to rely on. How the two became friends was mind-boggling to Mia, but they had, and it stayed that way.

        Her eyes scattered about. She had been some of the first few people to get here, thanks to Beverley, the bitch. She didn't even have enough time to call her dad to let him know she'll be home late because, after school, Beverley had dragged her all the way here. It had only been an hour since the party started and it was starting to fill up fast. Some upbeat Drake song was playing and people were dancing to it. Mia was just thankful to have some time apart from Beverley, even if she was spending it with Trent.

        "You know," Trent began after a long silence. "I don't get you anymore."

        Shifting her gaze back to him, she noticed how twisted his features were at that moment like he was trying to figure her out. She quirked up an eyebrow. "What do you mean?" Mia demanded. She hadn't wanted to come off as rude, but with the way he was staring at her, her patience was starting to wear thin.