30 | defeat

30

D E F E A T

        The energy out of Mia had just collapsed

        The energy out of Mia had just collapsed. It was right there in Beverley's hands; everything that could taint her name and destroy her future. She'd be to blame and fairly so. She cleaned up Beverley's mess and invaded Jeffrey's personal belongings as he slowly began to rot under the Earth. If she had just called the police that night her supposed best friend broke into her home, drenched in a sickly red, she wouldn't have gotten herself into this mess and Jeffrey ...

        Jeffrey would have gotten the justice he deserved.

        But instead, she dug her own grave. She had thought she'd been brave but she was just really, really stupid to believe she could finesse a demented murderer.

        As Beverley's two hands lingered in the air, her smiling face is in the center, white teeth glowing triumphantly into Mia's eyes. There was a satisfied glimmer in her brown, wide eyes, knowing she had won, knowing she had trumped onto Mia until she laid flat to the ground like a deflated balloon. She sucked all the life out of her, poked some holes, and now Mia didn't have any idea how she'd go back to her natural form again.

        Mia's stared deep into her eyes, her throat dry; and she cleared it, swallowed down some spit, just so she didn't sound weak. "Why are you doing this to me?" she said, and when it came out, she realized it was a stupid question to ask. Why do rapists rape? Why do killers kill?

        There was a pause after the question; even Toby behind her, who froze, tilted his head to glance at Beverley in front of him. He was silent and probably wanted to know the answer himself. Why didn't they just kill her there and then? They killed before and she knew too much. It would be easier for them to get rid of the threat, not set it free.

        Beverley's hands lowered, her smile sliding off. That crazed look on her face was replaced by one of her masks, the mask that used to warm Mia's very own heart. A small, tentative smile replaced the deluded one from before, and she said, "I want my best friend back. You see, Toby would kill you. Simple as that. But I just can't hurt you, Mia, you're my best friend, don't you get that? I love you!"

        Mia interjected with a harsh chuckle. "Oh yeah? Is that why you made Toby kidnap me and then hit me across the head a few times? Oh, let's not forget that he's still holding me down."

        A dark look crossed over Beverley's face, her gaze shifting to Toby behind Mia. "I assure you that hurting you wasn't part of my plan. I'll have a few words with Toby about it later," Beverley promised cynically, and Mia had a strong feeling that a 'few words' was just a codeword for something worse. "But for now, he'll let you go."