14 | gunmetal

14

G U N M E T A L

      A white streak glided along the clear sky that afternoon

      A white streak glided along the clear sky that afternoon. It was late, the school day had finished, but the sun had been fiercely unmoving throughout the whole day and it remained intact amidst a sea of blue. It rained sunlight on the school buildings and reflected off of cars windshields. Even so, there was a chill hanging in the air that bit at any of your revealed skin.

      That kind of days is the worst. Deceiving. Kind of like people. You don't really know what you're stepping into when you meet someone for the first time.

      Mia walked right into a crime scene, or, in other words, created one in her own home. At least, she assumed. It made her feel better when she assumed.

      Amidst the rays of sunshine, Mia detected a curtain of black hair, black sneakers, black skinny jeans, and a maroon bomber jacket being sported by Renée.

      Mia had tons of questions. Why was she breaking out of Jeffrey's home? Why was she there in the first place?

      She knew Renée saw her that night, too. Her gray, wild eyes, spotted her watching the house; then watching her, before running off into the silent darkness. She was supposed to meet Matias, but she no longer deemed that a good idea, so she didn't go to the school's gym. She followed Renée to the parking lot.

      They were almost at her silver Honda Civic when Renée paused sharply and flipped around to stare Mia in her eyes.

      "Why are you following me?" Renée snapped, her pale fingers slightly trembling under the black sleeves of the shirt she had underneath her jacket. At first, Mia didn't respond, her eyes scanning her face, proving to herself that, yes, it was her last night.

      She was awfully pretty. Gray eyes darker than the color of gunmetal, sharp cheekbones, and chopped midnight bangs to match. "It was you last night," Mia declared. "I saw you."

      It turned out Renée was a shitty actress, because she scoffed exaggeratively, a bewildered expression taking over her features. "What the fuck are you talking about?"

      Mia raised a brow. "Don't play dumb," she insisted. "You saw me, and I saw you breaking out of the Dormer residence."

      A look of dread replaced Renée's expression. "What do you want from me, exactly?"

      "Just the truth," Mia sighed. "Why'd you break in?"

       "Do you promise you won't tell anybody if I tell you?" Renée suggested, her arms crossing over her chest in defense, yet her voice was slightly shaky.