15 | invitation

15

I N V I T A T I O N

      It felt nice sliding into Matias' Ford, the heating was switched on, and breathing in the smell of pine and aftershave was a relief compared to the smell of greasy fast food in McDonald's

      It felt nice sliding into Matias' Ford, the heating was switched on, and breathing in the smell of pine and aftershave was a relief compared to the smell of greasy fast food in McDonald's. She waited inside for a while, but couldn't resist when her stomach growled hungrily and proceeded to leave and wait in the cold.

     Mia was an athlete. Athlete's don't eat food that'll slow them down. That weed you smoked slowed you down, though, but she tried to pretend that never happened.

      Nevertheless, it was freezing outside, to the point Mia thought she'd turn to ice wrapped in only her fleece jacket and a long-sleeved tee underneath; so she left out a sigh of both relief and pleasure upon sinking into the soft cushion of the passenger seat — closing the door after her.

     Rubbing her icy fingers together, she hadn't had a chance to thank him for coming — which was all too nice, really, and she hadn't expected him to but, yet, here he is — because, with one raised eyebrow and a permanently knitted frown on his face, Matias scolded, "How smart of you to walk around town with how the weathers dropped these past few days."

      Watching him turn the heating on higher, Mia sighed. "I had a ride," she muttered bitterly.

      "Your ride is not really reliable then," commented Matias, asking after, "Don't you have a car?"

      Wincing, she replied with, "I left it in the school's carpark."

      Shaking his head, Matias made a U-Turn and began driving, asking for her address. She mumbled the words, unable to relax, feeling slightly awkward, and glanced out of the window; watching everything blur. "Thank you for coming," she muttered. "You didn't have to."

      Shrugging, Matias replied with, "I guess I'm still curious about what you've told me."

      Mia didn't reply, trying to pretend what she said had never happened, mentally scolding herself for stabbing her best friend so harshly in the back. She didn't know the full story. And, judging by what Renée told her, Bev wasn't Mia's only suspect. There are many sides to a story — and Mia only heard a chunk of Renée's. God knows what else went down, and, honestly, that's what frightened her the most.

      All she could see was Jeffrey's once vibrant eyes, smoldering into nothing. Lifeless. Oh, God. Shutting her eyes, she tried to remove the image from her mind, though she thought it'd be rather selfish to do so. She's selfish. She should have gone to the police a really, really, long time ago.

      But she didn't. Mia didn't see it as a mistake. She saw it as a burden. A burden of the weight of the world on her shoulders.

      She thought of things that made her feel a little better. Bev didn't kill Jeffrey. Jeffrey might not even be dead. The blood could have been an animal's. Jeffrey ran away. Maybe Renée did it. You'll never know —