08 | vanished

(dedicated to offtojupiter for being a real life Mia, and an awesome friend)

08

V A N I S H E D

Jeffrey Dormer was a boy in the in-between

He wasn't the most or least popular. He was stuck, between being forgotten and always being there. He was always at parties, with his ancient video camera like he never discovered Snapchat, an outstretched smile on his face as he said something witty or hilarious; which was what he was known for, having had taken the role of the class clown.

He was always there. At parties, pep rallies, games, school balls, school fundraisers; his camera in hand and his trademark goofy smile on his face. Then he was just gone. Missing, they called it. The word haunted every layer of Mia's skin, goosebumps erupting on her arms and on back of her neck.

It had dawned on everyone in the classroom, the haunting atmosphere expanding until a great big fog hung in the air like poisonous gas; spreading and suffocating anyone close enough. Missing. That meant Jeffrey could not be found. Almost as if by reflex, Mia turned to look at Renée over her shoulder, examining how her dark hair hung like a curtain around her ashen face.

She was seated deeper into the hardness of her chair, like what she had waited for ultimately left her physically exhausted, her shoulders dropping and her hands placed on her desk before her. Other than her broken posture, Renée's eyes watched the cloudy skies from the window. Mia noticed that even though she couldn't see her face, she was crying, that much was evident in the way she wiped at her eyes every now and then.

Mia never really had a boyfriend. Not one she was serious about, at least. But she could imagine living in bliss in his arms only to fall through the air in a matter of days. She could imagine losing someone she loved so much. Renée might not have lost her boyfriend, but not knowing if he was okay was a big loss. And Jeffrey Dormer was missing.

Jeffrey Dormer was not okay.

Mia had a strong feeling that he wasn't, and it rested in her gut, simmering like scalding hot water, brewing into a feeling that made her feel like she needed to throw up all of the contents in her stomach. The skies outside were gray and multiplying until there was not one spot of blue in the sky, and Mia felt them envelop the school; sucking out the life from everyone and stealing their radiant shine.

The rest of her time in class was a dull one. It was quiet, Mr. Benson spoke in soft sighs and mumbled words, while the rest of the class mindlessly made notes and all Mia could do was stare at the empty seat beside Dean, once filled with a charismatic individual who brought life into the classroom, but he was just gone. Gone.