26 | surprise

26

S U R P R I S E

        "Do you want a ride home?" Matias suggested, his cheeks flushed from all the kisses he placed on Mia's eager lips, and despite beaming at the offer, she had shaken her head to decline it

        "I came with my car," Mia informed. "Plus, you should really practice. The meet's this week, right?"

        There was a hint of surprise on his features at the fact that she had been kept track of the schedule of his swim meets. "Yeah . . ." Matias said, a smile lingering on his face. "I'll call you or something."

        Mia grinned. "You do that," she instructed, before walking in the direction of the exit. Even sliding past the doors, the smell of chlorine no longer drowning her senses, that stupid grin still hadn't dropped from her face.

        She had felt all giddy inside, her body responding to some of these new feelings she was harboring in excitement and anticipation. Walking farther down the hall, she couldn't help but feel a buzz building under skin thinking of his pending phonecall. Would he call as soon as he was done practicing? Or just before they went to bed? She wouldn't go as far as to call it love, not at all, but it was the only sane thing in her life right now; therefore she had to hold on to that with a tight grip.

        It was quite refreshing thinking of something other than homicidal best friends. It was like she had stepped back into her typical teenage life, where her biggest worry was getting the guy, and sometimes not even that was a problem.

        And as a plus, Matias had liked her back, and showcased his feelings, diminishing any fear of rejection that she harbored. It was like a fresh breath of air being with him, being normal, and not feeling like she was being suffocated. It made her feel that her life might just bounce back to being as it was again like she could feel other things again, other than dread or paranoia. But of course, with everything that was going on, this confident attitude could be shortlived.

        She hadn't realized how long she had been at the natatorium. Due to the almost-Winter season, the sun sunk as soon as the last class was finished, the skies growing a shade darker within the time of five minutes. It was night-time in just a matter of minutes, foxes hiding in shadows, owls hooting high in the trees. But now not only was it dark on the outside, but it was just as much on the inside.

        The building was practically vacant, the remaining source of life that could be heard was the loud exhale of the vents and the sound of her sneakers slapping against the floor. Some lights flickered, some were off, signaling the school was closing in less than fifteen minutes; doors locked shut, janitors out of work, human life extracted. It was spooky, almost too silent, too deserted. She wouldn't mind running back to the natatorium but she didn't want to seem too needy.