34 | magnets

34

M A G N E T S

        A dull ache formed under Mia's skin as fear began to settle deep in the core of her stomach

        A dull ache formed under Mia's skin as fear began to settle deep in the core of her stomach. With unblinking eyes, she watched Beverley, begging whatever Gods were real to help prevent her from noticing the bubbling fizz that was brewing in the cup in her hand. Three minutes in, Mia had come to regret her risky decision for many reasons. If Beverley wouldn't notice, Toby definitely would, in the abrupt actions of his girlfriend. Mia knew that Beverley would start to see things, say things, and as she was already under Toby's watchful gaze, he'd trail it all back to Mia. Busted.

        And there was no telling what he'd do next. Go home and kill Matt? Or go to the police station and frame Mia? Though no denying either one was bad, if there was ever a punishment, of course, she'd prefer the latter. And there was no way she wanted to call their bluff. If they could kill once, they could kill again; which is why watching Beverley take a sip of her drink under Toby's arm, Mia knew then that this was a horribly stupid decision.

        She wished she swallowed the damn pill, but what was done, was done; and she'd have to use it to her advantage as best as she could.

        The speakers were pumping music throughout the house like air into a balloon. She felt like the louder it'd get, the bigger the possibility of the house exploding. The trouble Trent will be in when his rich, prissy neighbors report to his parents about the raucous, however, did put a smile on Mia's face even at this time of panic; and at least now, the music, and her peers growing intoxicated all around her, that was enough to hide how hard her heart was beating in her chest.

        Five minutes in, Beverley gulped the rest of her drink down, unknowing to what was inside of it. The only reaction from her after was a grimace, probably a reaction to the alcohol. It lasted two seconds, and it was most likely fake. A part of her act. Like Mia would believe a girl that could kill without even batting her eyelashes could feel anything when drinking liquor.

        Trying to blend in, she laughed along with Beverley at a joke that Ella Pickett said. They were huddled in the kitchen, where the bottles of booze stood tall on the island; Toby and Beverley, with Mia by their side, an untouched drink in her hand, and Ella and her boyfriend, Leon, standing in front of the three. Mia knew that this wasn't her clique. Ella was a cheerleader, Leon was on the team with Toby, and she stuck out like a sore thumb. She wasn't an outcast, not at all, Mia just didn't really click with everybody. She had her selected group of friends and acquaintances, and pretty, sweet Ella and her golden jock of a boyfriend just didn't fit; the same way crazy, party girl Mia didn't fit with them.

        But under Toby's arm, Beverley fit fine, being the girlfriend of a basketball star. Then again, she was friends with the whole school. She was too nice, too much of a saint, it'd be a sin to say no to her. It was a damn phenomenon that the two girls were even best friends, given the fact that they were two complete opposites, but with Beverley's act of this sweet, innocent girl, she could be best friends with anybody. It was just Mia who was condemned that one day they were six and Louise and Elliana decided to host playdates every weekend.