20 | sleepover

20

S L E E P O V E R

      There was a second knock on the door at nine-thirty

      There was a second knock on the door at nine-thirty. It made Mia secretly breathe a sigh of relief, clambering down the wooden steps in a hurry. Beverley was left upstairs in Mia's room, nibbling on her popcorn and chugging down energy drinks. Despite having school tomorrow morning, a ton of homework, and some desperately needed hours of studying, Mia had invited one more person over to escape the awkwardness of sitting in silence with Beverley; who, just to make it worse, pretended that everything was normal and dandy and Mia couldn't do the same no matter how much she wanted to. Knowing she wasn't alone with her already made her poor heart calm down.

        Mia's hair was dripping wet because she had just jumped out of the shower, and those twenty minutes apart from Beverley was a blessing. Now, a nervous smile finally lit up her face when she answered the front door for the second time that night.

        "I scored us some Jack," Kiki flashed a smile, wiggling the bottle of gold in front of Mia's face. "And I brought my school supplies. Just in case, y'know, we actually study."

        "I was thinking to put on some G.O.T. and have some snacks, but Jack is good, too," Mia cackled shakily, her way of greeting Kiki. Kiki casually slipped in, with her Adidas tracksuit on paired with sneakers, and Mia closed and locked the front door securely behind her.

        Mia knew that the only person that would drive all the way here just enjoy some company and booze was going to be Kiki. She wasn't the type of person to just mope around. She was always on the go and nothing was fun for her if there wasn't a good company like a group of her friends, or Jack, or even a boy named Jack. She was kind of like Mia's other half but crazier. If she hadn't found Beverley before, Kiki and Mia would have definitely been the Golden Duo.

        "Where's your other half?" was, ironically, what Kiki asked Mia as her eyes peered at the top of the stairs, searching for said other half.

        Mia followed her gaze and wondered that it was strange that Beverley did not come down to greet her. When Mia had mentioned calling Kiki, Beverley's face had fallen, crumpling into a sour expression. After calling Kiki, and getting the confirmation of her coming over, Beverley was strangely quiet.

        "Upstairs watching Gossip Girl," answered Mia with a shrug. "Want some food?"

        Kiki waved a hand dismissively. "Girl, I'm good."

        "Alright, let's get G.O.T. on."

        "Hell, yeah. No stalkerish dudes on the web please, I need me some dragons and nudity."

        Twenty-eight minutes in Game of Thrones, season one, episode one, the atmosphere felt colder than ever. Mia was in between the two girls, Beverley on her right on the bed and Kiki on her left. Kiki passed around the bottle of alcohol occasionally, but Beverley would decline each time with a curt nod of her head, and after that, Kiki didn't bother. Mia didn't understand Beverley's frosty exterior — sure, Kiki was her friend and soccer mate, and they didn't have much in common other than being friends with Mia, but Beverley had never blatantly ignored all of Kiki's failed attempts of trying to be friends. Mia could only guess it was because she didn't want her to invite Kiki in the first place. Either way, it felt awkward.